B is for Budgeting – Financial Peace University and Dave Ramsey! Our connecting point class with young and marrieds/families at church is going through this video series together. It’s been really good for Ben and I to try and apply his principles so we can be good stewards! It’s also inspired me to try and save money in the grocery category! I’ve been trying to meal plan, price compare shop, and stick to my list! I’m learning that I am such an emotional buyer and realized the all the marketing strategies at the stores work on me! Self-awareness is the first step, right?
C is for CARES with Apartment Life. We still love meeting new residents here at the Coventry and making new friends as well! We’ve started a “Good Neighbor Day” where a different building has a pizza party right in front of their building to meet their neighbors. We’ve had around 30 people come to these events and are able to connect people! That part has been very rewarding. We reflected as we were walking back from a welcome visit the other day…there are so many nice people who live here…makes living here much more enjoyable! I’m starting to find the stay-at-home moms and hope to organize something for us soon. We have a pancake breakfast that we’re providing and serving to the residents this Saturday!
D is for Dentist – Ellie had her first visit with a pediatric dentist just on Monday (22nd). She now has 12 teeth. Her 8 in the front, and then her bottom molars are all the way in and the top ones are partially in. She has two of her top front teeth, that are discolored (yellow) and actually look like enamel is pretty much peeled off. Well, come to find out, it’s true. Her enamel is stripped all the way down to the “denton” they call it. The dentist said it’s because of her prematurity. Crazy huh? Yet another factor that had to do with a developing baby at 28 weeks! She did say sometimes their permanent teeth can be affected too. So we’ll just have to wait and see. So we’ve had to master the “holding Ellie down” technique to brush those teeth, after morning breakfast and before she goes to bed. Hoping that gets better and easier. We’re starting to introduce a toothbrush too. No juice for Ellie. Those teeth are high risk for decay anyways. She actually has only gotten milk and water from the get-go, per recommendation from our pediatrician. And, I’m SO glad especially with her teeth issues now. Also, we have to watch the carb filled snacks like crackers…those turn to sugars and when they stay on the teeth and in the grooves, which leads to decay too. Her main concern about that were for children who graze on snacks all day. We’re pretty scheduled as far as that’s concerned here in the Gramkow household. We get to go see the dentist again in 6 months.
F if for Fifteen Month Check up with Dr. Brad – see stats to the right! She’s a growing!
G is for Greek Class. Yep, Ben signed up for another semester at church to get his “intellect” fix! Can’t beat the tuition for this class, so it’s all good!
H is for hugging. Ellie loves to hug everything – her dolls, her stuffed cow, her blanky, her stuffed pig, the couch, your leg, anything! She also thinks walking is just the coolest thing ever. She swings her arms, shruggs her shoulders, pats her belly. It’s too cute!
I is for I forgot about I.
J is for Just can’t think of a J! Oh wait…Jodi…I went to the Women’s conference with Jodi (also a former Kansan I might add)! this past weekend. I got to hear Priscilla Shirer speak and there were many things that hit home with me regarding being able to “move on” past what happened with Ellie’s early arrival. I haven’t shared too much about it on here, but it’s been a difficult journey processing what happened even when I can still look at her and clearly see that she is a healthy, growing little girl! I’m so thankful for that. Priscilla gave an example about how her son was in the back seat while she was driving, and wanted her to look back at his toy (a transformer). She said she couldn’t look back because she was driving. The son asked, “Well, what is that rear-view mirror for anyways then?” Priscilla responded telling her son that she can glance in the rear-view mirror, but only for a little while, because she must keep her eyes on what’s in front of her. Wow. That really spoke to me. I can’t get fixated on the rear-view mirror of what happened. I have to be able to focus on the future and what’s ahead. So as Ben and I “talk” and trust me, it’s progress to even really say we’re “talking” about having another child (because I immediately think back on the traumatic experience with Ellie)…I can’t be fixed on the rear-view mirror. There are too many unknowns of the future, and I have no idea what God has in store for our family. We do desire to be parents someday to more children. We just love that sweet Ellie to pieces. However, the goal is to be faithful, obedient and thankful today, and not be afraid of what tomorrow might bring. It’s funny how lessons I learned in the NICU, still apply today. Take it one day at a time.
K is for Kleenex – two uses…this morning Ellie woke up with a runny nose, so now we’re getting to use the Kleenex mound stashed on top of our bathroom sink. Why is there a Kleenex mound, you ask? Because while I was showering one day, Ellie took them out one-by-one. Then next day, no lie, I forgot to move the toilet paper, and she sure did roll it down to the cardboard. So really now we have two mounds – one of Kleenex, and one of toilet paper in our master bathroom. Looks pretty sweet I must admit. It’s a good thing we have another bathroom for guests to use!
L is for Lockheed Martin – Ben’s job is going great; he has awesome co-workers and it’s been fun to get to know them and their families. The girls even had a night out last weekend and the dad’s watched the kids. It’s pretty funny; one of the other wife’s started calling us the LM Housewives. (don’t worry, but with a lot less drama!)
M is for the March of Dimes: March for Babies Walk on Saturday, April 17 here in Fort Worth. We signed up to walk as a family team: Team Gramkow! We’re hoping to raise $500 for the cause. Funds raised in March for Babies support research and programs that help moms have full-term pregnancies and babies begin healthy lives. And they will be used to bring comfort and information to families with a baby in newborn intensive care. We are excited to give back in this way…and if you want to walk with us, let us know! Visit our Team Gramkow fundraising site here: http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?SeId=1370831&si=
N is for New Nursery – Ellie’s nursery is finally decorated (ie stuff on the walls), super cute and filled with barnyard decorations!
O is for Ophthalmologist! Ellie sure has gotten to meet a lot of intelligent people these first 17 months of life! Ellie had a follow up appt with an Ophthalmologist here in Fort Worth (last Wednesday). I was SO happy they did not have to use the “hold her eyes open while she screams” contraption. They were able to dilate her eyes, just like when we go to the eye doctor! She had a great report. The doctor said the health of her eyes look great and she actually is showing a little bit of “far-sighted” ness. So between being preemie and her family history (Ben has pretty bad vision with out corrective lenses, and I had similar to a lazy eye when I was little) he wants to see her back in a year. This visit was also our first visit to an office in the scary-large “downtown” hospital district!
Q is for quick. Yes, the tantrums are starting. Ellie really is a good kid for the most part, but it’s amazing how quick she will move her hand when you’re trying to grab something she’s not supposed to have! She’s also really quick at trying to type on the keyboard! I’ve had to delete several “ellie-typing phrases” from this here post.
R is for the Ronald McDonald House where I still volunteer every other Friday (Ben’s off work Friday) morning. Ranging from cleaning, to data input, to writing thank yous, to inventory-ing rooms, it’s still always so good to be helping out with this charity. It’s been fun lately because I’ve gotten to see kiddos and their parents come back to visit the staff after they’ve gone home. Sure made me miss the Ronnie’s in Topeka! Also, was neat the time before last, I got to celebrate with a teenage boy and his mom who had just come in to tell the office staff that “the cancer is gone!.” It nearly brought tears to my eyes.
S is for SOCIAL butterfly! Ellie has no problem going to the church nursery now – for both church and Women’s Bible study. She loves walking down the hallway to her “walkers” room at the very end, and goes right in to find some of her buds, Avery, Ella, and Chloe (just to name a few). It’s fun to pick her up and be greeted with a “hi” (which yes, still is really her only word!)
T is for Trinity Chapel Bible Church – We’re also involved in a Community Group that meets weekly. It’s been great to get to know all the groupies and try out new recipes (since we get together for Supper on Wednesdays too). Last night was significant. We were at Krista and Jacobs, whereupon they have a little dog named Bravo. Ellie thought it would be fun to try out Bravo’s food. I saw her come back around the corner with something in her mouth. I didn’t know why because we were clearly all done eating. I looked at Ben and asked her if he’d fed her anything. When he said no, she came over and handed us a handful of dog food. With a quick finger swipe (while, kind of puking in my mouth a little, I’m not gonna lie), I was able to retrieve 3 more dog food pebbles. I kinda had troubles focusing the rest of the evening! I know, I know, I probably ate dog food too! It’s all good.
U is for USA Olympics – We have been trying to keep up on the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. So far we’ve determined that Curling is underrated. (submitted by Ben) . I think it’s funny that Ben comes and finds me wherever, whatever I’m doing around the apartment to tell me that “we just won the …silver, etc..” Such loyalty. Love it. He’s also been working on his downhill skiing on the Wii, I think inspiration from the Olympics.
V is for Visitors – In January, some of my grad girlfriends came to visit us! It was great fun as Ben hung out with Ellie and us girls got to shop, go to Billy Bobs and catch up on life! In March, (my) Aunt Marie and Uncle Jerry are coming to visit. Uncle David and Aunt Audrie are coming the weekend of the 17th (and are gonna walk with us in the March for Babies) and Grandma and Grandpa Weber are coming here for Easter. I am SO proud that my dad is getting on a plane to come see his granddaughter!
X is for X-Ray Vision – which none of us have. (submitted by Ben)
Y is for Yum-o – Mandy has been trying out several new recipes from the Pioneer Woman’s cookbook. She (Mandy) has certainly been proving her prowess at preparing pleasing plates of pfood. (submitted by Ben)
Z is for Zilch, Zero – That’s how many writing ideas I have left, so it’s a good thing I’ve reached the end of the alphabet! (submitted by Ben)
....and we leave you with these pictures...because they are just funny. She is in love with my cell phone...and she was clearly pressing it a tad too hard to her face!
I am so excited you are joining MOPS! We can be MOPS sisters! You have had a busy winter. I am glad you are doing well. you guys are in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteyou are so creative, witty and fun to read...thanks for the update...luv you and hugs
ReplyDeleteFABULOUS post! It's so good to hear how everything is going! It's crazy how quickly things can change, even when we saw you not that long ago!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI love the blog :) we had a really good time at the breakfast!! I hope yall have a great rest of the weekend :-) Ellie is SO precious :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool idea for a post. I'm very impressed by your ability to stay focused long enough to complete the alphabet!
ReplyDelete