8:14 PM
The exact moment we went from expecting in three months to not knowing what to expect.
That poster hit hard for me. With Beckett there was no exact moment like there was with Ellie. (I'll never forget that morning just over three years ago hearing the doctor utter those words "We've got some serious labor issues here.")
This time around had a very different progression. When Mandy went into the hospital (Harris Southwest hospital near our house) Wednesday night, I didn't even go with her. We decided it was best for her to go get checked out because she had been experiencing what she believed (correctly) were contractions. We had gone to the ER a few weeks before under similar circumstances and they sent us home with no serious concerns. I thought this time would be the same. I thought.
I was surprised and hour or so later to get a call from my sobbing wife telling me that they wanted to keep her overnight for observation. I stayed home from work to watch Ellie and a friend's son, which Mandy had planned to do. I wasn't sure when they would discharge her so I had another friend come watch the kids while I went to visit Mandy in the hospital. They couldn't measure her contractions with their equipment since her uterus was too small, so they weren't 100% sure they were contractions. They discussed a couple other possibilities and sent her home with a prescription for Procardia to suppress the contractions. They also gave her a steroid shot for the baby's lungs. Now you might think at this point I would have come to terms with having another micro-preemie. You'd definitely be wrong. They explained that it was a just in case measure that would help the baby's lungs regardless of his birth date. I filled the Procardia presciption, came home, and the crisis was over. Or so I thought.
About the time she was to take the first dose of Procardia she was ordered to return to the hospital. She had called the doctor a few hours after discharge since her symptoms progressed. Her contractions were spaced 2-5 minutes apart usually lasting just over 20 seconds. (We of course downloaded an Android app for that.) The doctor had told her that more regularly spaced contractions lasting 30-45 seconds would be more of a concern. He had predicted the future. She called back to tell him the contractions were 3 minutes apart lasting 30-40 seconds and more painful. He replied that she had earned another night in the hospital. In hindsight, he never specified which hospital.
When we went back to the hospital the doctors tried to slow down the contractions with magnesium sulfate. It didn't work. All day the contractions had only worsened, never more than 5 minutes apart. She was now dilated to 2 cm, up from .5 cm earlier in the day. We discussed that the NICU at the Harris Southwest hospital can't handle babies delivered before 28 weeks, but the one downtown does. Mandy was not even to 25 weeks. So the doctor informed us that "in terms of viability in this pregnancy, we just aren't there yet." They wouldn't even transfer us downtown. But he would go consult with the doctor downtown and let us know.
I understand that no NICU in the world is a replacement for a mother's womb. I understand that even taking a baby born at 28 weeks and nursing her into a healthy happy little girl is a miracle of both God and modern medicine. And I understand that you have to draw the line somewhere, some babies just can't be saved. But when it's your baby, none of that matters.
I said a quick prayer for viability and prepared my speech for the doctor's return. If he stood his ground I would argue that the ultrasounds had consistently measured early, but they resisted moving up the due date. Then I would argue that moving up the due date would get us to viability. Problem solved. Fortunately my speech was not necessary. The doctor returned and said that 25 weeks was the official mark of a viable pregnancy, and Mandy was going to reach the 25 week mark in about another hour. So they would go ahead and transfer us to Harris downtown. Now you might think at this point I would have realized that the baby was coming very very soon. You might be underestimating my stubbornness.
When I arrived downtown they had already given her an even higher magnesium sulfate dose. By this time she was dilated to 3 and the contractions were still 3-4 minutes apart, and were excruciating. The anesthesiologist offered her either an epidural or Stadol. We foolishly chose Stadol which only served to make her loopy and allow her to fall asleep during the short breaks between contractions. By this time I was exhausted and I wasn't the one doing all the work! She progressed to 5 cm and we finally conceded to an epidural. At this point I realized that we would have chosen it sooner except that Mandy and I were both determined that she was not going to have this baby that night. I asked the nurse how long an epidural would last and her response was coy: "Once they get the line in, it will last for the rest of the pregnancy." Now you might think that by this point I would have been forced to admit to myself that we would see our son before the night was through. Well ... I was starting to come around.
But then.
The nurse began talking about breaking her water. My mind quickly sped through confusion and denial. They started taking her bed apart in order to elevate the stirrups. My world had eroded. The doctor came in. My son was born. The NICU staff began stabilizing the baby. This left Mandy and I alone together in a busy, crowded room. I felt strange relief.
I had spent all night progressing through anxiety, worry and fear. My worst fear had been realized. But it had been faced. And suddenly it didn't seem quite so bad. Mandy and I shared our tears. We didn't want to walk the road ahead, we knew it was a long one. But at least it was a little bit familiar.
Please pray for us on our journey.

We are here for you Team Gramkow all the way! Praying for your precious Beckett!
ReplyDeleteoh Ben. Blessings on your stubborn yet big tender loving heart. I cannot imagine how this journey feels, but you have expressed things very eloquently here. We continue to lift up your latest blessing to the Great Physician. Also asking for peace for you and Mandy.
ReplyDeletep.s. I have a fun photo taken of you, Mandy, Ellie, Kate and Josef at their wedding. Will get it down to you soon.
We are praying in Nebraska - very hard! I wake up praying for you and I go to bed praying for you. I know I can't make things better or change the current circumstances, but I sure do wish I could give both of you a hug. Distance makes this really hard for someone who loves you all so much. Just know that I am praying every chance I can get and that I am SO thankful for Wendy keeping me in the loop in a calm and blunt manner - it helps a lot. The Big Man has his arms wrapped around Beckett and will continue to help him grow and progress. We saw a miracle happen right before our eyes three years ago - I have full confidence that he will continue to show us the marvels of modern medicine and prayer.
ReplyDeleteLOVE YOU!
Josh and Alisha
The line "But when it's your baby, none of that matters." is when the tears started flowing for me.
ReplyDeleteBen, I don't think there are words in this language to express to you how proud and honored I am to know you. I don't know why God chose to make you endure this journey twice.. but all I know is that He doesn't make mistakes. God made you knowing you would go through this. So I don't believe He fell short in how He equipped you for this journey-and your account of this situation and your outlook on it, only shows that. You and Mandy are incredible and I admire you both for your strength (even though you may not feel like you're strong sometimes). You guys are doing and have done amazing! I wish I were closer to help in some way, but I am not. I can only send you my prayers and believe me, they are coming often! I know how helpless I feel when my kids are super sick... so I can only imagine how you and Mandy must feel with this situation. Please get rest when you can and know we are all thinking and praying for both of you.
-Edie "Rhodes" Noble
Continuously thinking about and praying for Team Gramkow and the continued strength of your family. Love you all!
ReplyDeletepraying for you & the little man day and night. thanks for taking the time to share your journey with each of us. we are being changed because of it!
ReplyDeleteI think of your family often and have said many prayers for you and sweet, baby Beckett. You have many people praying for you all and we all know that he will be just as much of a fighter as his big sister! It's hard to know why the Lord has us endure the things we do, but he must know that your faith will get you through. God bless you guys!
ReplyDeleteBecky Stowe
This was a journey I was hoping you would not have to repeat. For some reason you are experiencing this road again. It seem like yesterday you were traveling this route with Ellie and look at where she is now. Beckett is a lucky little boy to have been born into your family. Mandy and Ben your strength, faith, courage and hope are an inspiration and you both have what it takes to get through this. Saying many prayers for you all!
ReplyDeleteSherri Durst
Oh my. I read a prayer request for you on my friend's Lesley's page and my heart just sank. This is not what I wished for you guys! I then read your post. Wow. We will be praying for you and little Beckett. I pray God's hand be upon all of you and that in the midst of everything may there be peace and moments of joy as you get to know your new son. Strength for all of you and wisdom as you journey this road again with trying to balance your daughter's need too. Grow little Beckett, grow!
ReplyDeleteWe pray for you guys multiple times both day, and night. Your little miracle has a wonderful family, and we'll continue to pray for strength, peace, and rest for all of you.
ReplyDeleteWe both love you so much and know that the companionship of God is with you. May He overshadow you both as you walk with Him in down this road. Rarely does the Lord answer or provide in the same way twice, but He does provide what is needed for His glory and to the good of those He loves. Rest in Him tonight and always. I am confident Beckett is knowing God's hand even now.
ReplyDeleteBen and Mandy, thank you for sharing your heart and story and for letting us be a part of your journey. You are both incredible people with admirable determination and patience. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers often.
ReplyDeleteAs I read your blog I was reminded of the poem "Footprints"
One night a man had a dream. He noticed two sets of footprints in the sand. One belonging to Him and the other to the LORD.
He noticed that many times along the path of His life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of His life.
This really bothered Him and He questioned the LORD about it. LORD you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.
The LORD replied, my precious, precious child, I Love you and I would never leave you! During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
May you feel his comforting arms carrying you now.