Tuesday, January 17, 2012

You know you're a NICU Parent when...

Hello faithful blog followers. Maybe it is just Mom, Wendy and Grandpa Whipple who haven't truly given up on me yet.

Pray for my poor husband who is working dilligently on our computer. Yes, my engineer is still building the computer. He got some parts here, some parts there, and has ordered some from amazon, she's not pretty on the outside, but I'm sure in no time will run like a champ. But he has run into some problems, I mean...he actually is just sharpening his critical thinking skills. He is my hero, patience of a saint. I am so sure I would have run to Best Buy after the first problem, I mean critical thinking situation, and bought one. But...Big B man is charge of la computadora in this household.

Can't figure out how to rotate the pics when the post to the blog from my phone. Annoying. Just turn your head, it'll be fine. And they are pixelated. Also annoying, but as you can see...I am a little sparce on time these days. Love having two kids, but really...you moms out there with lots of kiddos...how do you do it? You rock!

I am tired. But lots of things are funny when you are tired. So that is a perk. Laughter is always good.

I will have you know I did get a shower in today finally at 6 pm! You know, if everyone just waited until then to shower, they might be a little more appreciative. I know I am!

So tonight was family road trip night. Some of you might have already seen my facebook post.

You know you're a NICU parent in RSV isolation when "going out to eat" means Chick-Fil-A drive thru, and eating in the car with the whole fam. We just were glad Ellie wanted to eat in the car! Then we headed to Walmart (because I had to) to return the too small of a bike helmet that I had gotten Ellie, and needed some eggs. So ran quick while the Big B and kiddos waited in the car. Which leads me to my next...

You know you're a NICU parent in RSV isolation when you choose to pay with cash so you don't have to touch the germ filled credit card paypad because you realize the couple in front of you used it to pay for their cold and cough medicine. AND trust me I sanitized before I even got back to the car. Ha! And everyone who knows me well, I know, is saying of course she did! And yes, Casi Faulk, I did hold my breath in the line for a little bit (LOL). Seriously people, my 3 year old can cough into her elbow!

Showered after getting home from Walmart. Surprised? :)

I've been busy here in my RSV isolation...let me share a bit.

Beckett. Still a rock star. We had a few nights of fussy baby, which I think might be attributed to reflux. He pulled out the Ellie bat the bottle swing a few times which reminded me of those hard days feeding her. Don't know what the deal was. Although he still is not a frequent pooper. We have been offering him close to 90 mls each feeding by bottle, and he has done pretty well. Still eating every 3 hours, per doctors orders. He took 120 mls for me last night. Once.

You know you are a NICU parent, when you still refer to milk volume in milliliters, even though you could convert to ounces. Oh yeah, my kid is big enough to eat larger volumes now.

He is breastfeeding ok...off and on, but we are still trying. He has some long awake periods couple hours, which I tell myself is a one up on being a 4 month old newborn. Daddy tried him on tummy time today, now that we have the ok from OT now that he is 41 weeks gestation. We are scheduled to visit the pulmonogist on Friday for Beckett's second synagis shot. Been super happy their office has been proactive with our insurance and specialty pharmacy to make sure it is delivered for appointment time. So thankful! Do some of you remember the synagis drama with Ellie? Still so thankful to Aunt Alice for helping us out back then being a synagis transport! We are back to see Doctor Hanson on Tuesday for his 4 month check. Also, we are getting an eval to start ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) to assess Beckett's development. As with most preemies, this begins the "wait and see" process to see what he is going to be able to do, motor skill wise especially. Prayers for that are appreciated.

Ellie. LOVES being a big sister, but I think really wants to be mom. She races me to Beckett when he cries to get the pacifier in his mouth. We talk a lot about being gentle. Which I think she understands for the most part until I see her talking sweetly to him, while she has a death grip on his hands to the point where his fingers are turning white. Not cool. I also busted her stroking his hair which started out nice, but then turned into the vulcher grip on his head. Again not cool. All that aside, she does LOVE him. He cries, and she tells me right away that he probably needs his paci, or maybe he is hungry mom. She helps me pick out his outfits, and loves to roll up his diapers and throw them away. We wash hands a lot. Which leads me to...

You know you're a NICU parent when you send your 3 year old to the bathroom to wash her hands, and she asks you "for three minutes, mom?" She also knows how to use hand "sanditizer" really well. We actually probably use more than we need to now that we have a helper running the pump. :)

Ellie is totally into puzzles right now. She does them so well! She also really loves writing letters and numbers (thank you Tracie Gramkow and fam) for the dry erase board. She loves it! She writes her name all by herself, not always in the right order, but we are working on it! Today she spent most of the day as a mermaid (thanks to Aunt Audrie and Uncle David's dress up gift), and the other night we watched the talent portion of the Miss. America pageant and Ellie dressed up and danced with all of the "ballerinas." Yes, Patricia Beer...you would be proud! :) Ellie makes us laugh all the time! She is such a mini-adult when she talks. You never know what she is going to say. Please do continue to pray for her and bad dreams, we think still from the break in.

What does our new normal look like these days? I tell ya...this second child thing is rocking my TYPE A organized, clean freak world. A mountain of unfolded laundry regularly shows up as a new piece of furniture in my living room. My sink is never empty of dirty dishes....bottles, pumping dishes, pacis that have dropped on the floor. Ellie's room has looked like an F5 tornado for the past three days. I can NOT complete any task it seems from start to finish. Gotta love when you forget to start the dryer, so than you are a wet load behind! Ugh! I don't even realize it is dinner time, and that Ben will be home soon, until quarter to 5...oh, oh, but then that is also when I realize it's time to feed Beckett again. I finally have concluded that my "To Do" list should only have one thing on it, so I might actually have a chance to meet my goal.

What I enjoy as the fun stuff is....kissing my Beckett like 65548 times a day; Ellie wedging herself in the recliner next to me everytime I feed Beckett, just so she can help hold the bottle and burp him; Ellie being my number 1 helper and runner of getting diapers; getting up and doing the silly dance to music at the end of Olivia episodes,;being a pajama mama most of the day (this is however two fold...its comfy, but too many pajama mama days isn't good, not that I ever feel the need to wear an old prom dress, but at least jeans. Just sayin'), holding Beckett and snuggling, anticipating when Ellie's face lights up as she hears daddy coming home.

Ah... the life with a toddler and a four-month old newborn. Wouldn't trade it for the world. So blessed. So. So. Blessed.






4 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, you do have faithful blog followers. I just figure you are busy with two little ones and hope all is well. I'm glad you won't have a transport problem with the shot, since I'm not there to 'run transport'. I was glad the help, but it's better not to need the help. Don't be too hard on yourself about the things that don't get done. Some laundry doesn't really need folded, does it?

    Love from Aunt Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Team Gramkow! I love this list - many of the "points" could be included on the You Know You're a Heart Parent list, also! I laughed out loud when you mentioned measuring milk in milliliters...I still measure everything in mL's. I have to consciously think about converting to ounces. We love keeping up with all of Beckett's amazing progress, precious stories about Ellie (Jon Jon just sent kisses), and continue to pray daily for all of you!

    Lots of love,
    Team Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. I think I will always retain the knowledge that there are 30 ml in 1 ounce. I catch myself every once in a while thinking that it is odd that other parents don't measure their milk in mls. Even with my full-termer, both my husband and I referred to her bottle in-take in ml. (That is when she took anything by bottle at all - stubborn she is - ironically she now keeps trying to drink out of doll bottles. Sigh.)

    Thank you for the lovely update. I continue to check back on your blog to see how life is going and how God has continued to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing great Mandy! I'm happy to hear that those dishes and clothes are piling up a little...it means you're enjoying the more important things in life - Ellie & Beckett. I can't wait to join you in mommyhood. :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete