Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Brother & Sister

Ok. Ok. I know I haven't blogged lately. Honestly, these past couple weeks, I have just been soaking it in. Loving the time with both my miracle babies. I am so thankful for the good days.

I remember when we were in the NICU, thanking God for Beckett's good days...so I could have the energy to help and be there for other parents in the NICU with us. And now...it just makes my heart so heavy to see so many others still have to endure the "storms" that come with the NICU journey...and even after coming home. But I am so thankful that God gives us hope. Hope for the good days...which are so hard to see when we are in the storm.


Beckett is so expressive. He smiles showing his two teeth after every nap! He is so happy when he wakes up! Thanking God DAILY for this joy.


I have had so much fun with my kids lately. It's hard not to get bogged down by the hard times...to dwell on the hard times....to wish I wouldn't have had to go through the hard times. Month of May when Beckett was eating/not eating every 2 hours...that was exhausting. But the past two weeks, Ellie has tried to mimic every Olympic sport on TV, Beckett watched every move so intently. I finally feel like this "dare I say normal" to what I thought having two kids would be like. It looks different than what I expected, but I'm ok with that. Today I'm ok with that, and I'm choosing joy.


And my Beckett loves to be held by his mama. I LOVE that my Beckett loves to be held by his mama. I'm holding him right now actually. And he's reaching for every paper on the desk. I love that he can do that!

I feel like we are "over" the feeding woes hump (I almost hesitate to say that cause you other preemie mamas can relate with the worry that...well, he's doing good now...is it going to stay that way?), now that his reflux is managed, and we got him to like the bottle again, and I know my stress has lessened because he's eating better. He still only takes 3-5 oz. at a setting. And maybe I've just gotten more chill with the idea of adjusting my expectations. I have come to terms with the fact that he is just going to be a slow grower. And probably will never take large volumes. He is doing well with the pureed foods. He doesn't like squash so far. He makes the funniest face when we feed him that!

Beckett is getting so much more interactive! He likes to play! He is mobile via army crawling. :) We are still working on PT/OT. He is working on sitting up. He likes to shift his pelvis to lean forward which makes him not want to use his tummy muscles like he should. He has always been an "extender" so this is not a surprise. He has however, a few times, gone from sitting (to hand propping) to tummy. He does really well sitting up when he has a toy that he can prop on infront of him. Again, not wanting to use his tummy muscles. So this week's PT homework involves a lot of "ab workouts" which he hates. But just like the neck control...we do exercises to strengthen...now it's the core. Once he has mastered his ab workouts, then we'll work on standing (He does stand on your lap, but is sure wobbly).

Ok...out of time now...will update on how the ECI 6 month screening went for his developmental areas next blog post...

But here are some at least cute pictures to leave you with! :)

4 comments:

  1. Those pictures remind me SO much of Grayson and Amelia.... love the sibling love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you are getting some "normal"!! And, isn't that bad we don't want to say it out loud, or get too comfy in things being nice and calm? It's hard, at least for me, not to say..."what's the catch here?" And its so bad for me to expect bad! The bible tells us to wait with, and have an expectant hope. Hard when you get knocked over again and again. Asher ate 30ml FROM HIS BOTTLE last night before the tube fiasco AND had sucked on his paci non stop for an hr before that feeding, and he was like ravenous, really really hyper about it, and I was like "is he ok? Is this normal?" I couldn't just celebrate. Ugh, so good for you for celebrating and enjoying!! They are SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy,

    I have been following your blog posts and love to hear the stories of your little kiddos! I love the pictures! Beckett has quite a bit of hair it looks like! Our hair-challenged girls could learn a bit from your kiddos! : )

    I just wanted to share how your journey as a preemie momma has helped Justin and me, even though we don't have preemie kids.

    Justin's brother Jeremy and his wife had their little J.J. at 30 weeks last December and began their NICU journey. Justin and I soon found that we understood what they were talking about with the various treatments, acronyms, steps J.J. had to take to progress, etc. Though we could never understand the feelings as parents, we were able to come alongside them so much better having a bit of exposure to the life of a preemie and preemie families. I want to thank you for that! I pray that God continues to show you how your pain and struggles have been used for good in so many ways that you may not know about. : )

    Blessings, brother and sister! We admire your honesty and faith!
    Love,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy,
    Your writing is very brave and honest. I wish I was better at sharing the difficult experiences that make us grow. You and Ben continue to inspire me.
    Love to the four of you,
    Lara

    ReplyDelete