Friday, December 18, 2015

A Letter to Caleb From Daddy

Ben's Dad read this letter for my sweet husband at Caleb's memorial service...

Dear Caleb,

Though the days we walk through now are dark, you have most certainly brightened our lives. We have learned important lessons from the births of your older brother and sister so we knew that having a child is not a journey to enter lightly.

The day your sister was born was the first day in my entire life that I questioned God's protection over my life. I thought perhaps the special protection I had been receiving had expired. I asked God if the deal was up. I could see that I was not in control and so I felt like I was drifting. From that day I learned that God is in control. If we seek His protection we must remember that He provides it, not us. Not my will, but His be done.

The day your brother was born we mourned the hard days ahead. Our plans had been shattered. But God's orchestrated plan brought us together with Beckett's doctor, his wife, and so many parents of premature kids. We were scared and we did not always know if Beckett would be okay. But God watched over Beckett and led him through the journey. The lesson this time was slow in coming, but I learned that God has a plan and He will take care of us. 

Your brother and sister have brought great joy to our lives. Our love and joy continue to grow as we spend one day after another with them. We mourn that we had such a short time to spend with you on this Earth, but as the day slipped away I could feel my love for your growing. I will always remember holding you in my hand and looking down into your calm, quiet face. Your mother and I had talked about this possibility. We did everything we could to give you the best possible chance at life. The lesson that day was a hard one. Sometimes even when you do everything right the result is not what you had hoped for. God's plan is not always our plan.

Caleb, we miss you. We look forward to meeting you in heaven.

Love,

Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment