Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ronald McDonald Fundraiser Weekend

Well, I finally have some time to set down and write about our WONDERFUL quick trip to Kansas this past weekend. Ellie and I both spent time catching up on our rest yesterday. Ellie was a trooper on the trip, but exhausted when we got home! Poor Ben had to go right back to work, early Monday morning, and we appreciate him for that! Where do I start? Oh, it was just such and amazing weekend that I wish it could have been a week longer...or wait, I wish we still LIVED in Kansas! Friday morning we left at the peak of morn to catch our early 7:50 flight. The way there, we had to take a detour because of an accident (of course, big city traffic has accidents) and then also when we got there our gate changed. We made it there luckily as they were starting to board. Aunt Audrie (not to be confused with NICU Nurse Cousin Audrie) picked us up at the airport and then we of course had to stop and visit our NICU family.
From August 2009
It was so great to see so many of them. Then we got to go eat at Bobo's only to fellow NICU mom, Brooke's persuasion, which we were grateful because we were in Topeka HOW long and never went there! Pretty good. So good to catch up with Brooke and Ellie's NICU buddy, Liam.
From August 2009
Friday afternoon we went to Ronnie's and got to help out with orgainizing the silent auction items and help Cousin Audrey who was in charge of that part. So good to spend some time with Cuz Audrey and to be at Ronnie's again too! Of course I cried when we got there too!
From August 2009
Friday night we spent at Alisha and Josh's house in Lawrence and had a WONDERFUL time catching up and doing lots of laughing! This was good for mommy as she has really missed her good friend, Leesha! Saturday morning we took a quick trip to Manhattan to see Uncle Wade and Aunt Caryn and family. Ellie got to show off her crawling skills and watch her cousins for entertainment. We also got to see Lori (Ellie's 1st babysitter) and Tonya (Mandy's supervisor at Jardine) and eat Houlihan's for lunch. We got to see the FABULOUS new office building at Jardine and Ellie even crawled around on the new sunflower glass floor!
From August 2009
SO nice! But sure made us Gramkow miss Manhattan like CRAZY! Yesterday, I actually found myself telling Ben he could go ahead and get his PhD if we can move back to Manhattan! Saturday night brought on a lot of emotions as we got to read our story and also share how much the Ronald McDonald House meant to us during Ellie's NICU stay. It was also great to see more of our NICU family and then also some family and friends join us at our table too! (David, Audrie, Anna, Alisha, Josh and one of my grad girlfriends, Dana)
From August 2009
So great to be there to show support to an AMAZING organization. It was funny because Melissa Brunner, I think is her name...she remember Ellie from when they did a Medical Segment on the news when Ellie was in the NICU! :)
From August 2009
Too funny. I thought I was going to be ok and hold off the tears, but when I was reading in front of all those people, the emotions came back, the memories came back and I did cry about three times during the speech where I had to pause. So glad that Ellie and Ben were up on stage with me and Ellie even babbled some during the speech which made me laugh. It was so amazing to be there and to be able to share with people how Ronnie's touched our lives by being our home away from home. That house will always hold a special place in our hearts. Sure got me motivated to get my paperwork turned in to be a volunteer at the Ronnie's here in Fort Worth! We went back to Kansas City after the Ronnie's fundraiser and stayed with Audrie and David, went to church with them in the morning, lunch at an amazing Mexican restaurant where we met up with Anna and Fred and then back to the airport....BOO! It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard to come back this time. We had such a wonderful time. We got in at about 5 pm and then decided spontaneously to go to a "new to Trinity Chapel Church BBQ" that started at 6 pm. We were all exhausted, but thought it'd be good to go and meet some more people from church. We had a good time there and did make some connections with some people, another stay at home mom, YAY! Although I cried the entire ride back home because it's just different. I'm still having a hard time being so far away from family, close friends, and the comfortable. Oh, and if you haven't already noticed, the link on the photos now goes to TEAM GRAMKOW - I had to get another account because I filled up my photo storage - Imagine that!

3 comments:

  1. it may seem likw a long way away and that is why Edith did not want to move from Wichita to Alaska. we only came home from Alaska once in three years. After three years when Uncle Sam said it was time to go she duid not want to leave. Fort Worth will be home before long and family will come to see you.
    Grandpa G

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so courageous...so proud of you for continuing to share your story :) I know you will continue to be blessed and to be a blessing!

    Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy,
    It was great to meet you all as well on Sunday. Your daughter is beautiful and such an inspiration for all who meet her.



    Jana

    ReplyDelete