Well, I'm sure some of you may have read our latest on facebook, but for those who aren't on there...FYI: our home was broken into yesterday afternoon while I was at the NICU, and Ben at work.
It was an awful sight to come home to. Today is better, but I'm still pretty shook up. We now have a security system in place, and I'm praying that will help a little with our peace of mind as we prepare our home (which now has felt so violated) to welcome our Sweet Beckett.
We are so thankful to those who continue to pray for us, for those who came to help, for those who just came to keep us company so we didn't have to be alone. You know...I'm so thankful for times like this when you have friends who don't have to even say anything, just be there, or just walk along side me and agree that this life is hard, and it is sometimes awful...
Friends have let us borrow things that were stolen until we can get our insurance replacements, friends came to help clean up what they destroyed, messed up. We even had sweet friends help us do laundry because I was just sick to my stomach that they touched all our clothes.
Awful to see our home not left as we has thought we did that morning. Awful to see our safe open with papers all across the laundry room, awful as your instinct of getting your kid to safety, screaming, making her cry, her asking what was wrong, dialing 911, calling Ben crying while Ellie wiped my tears...he thought I was crying about Beckett...he actually felt a sense of relief that it was a break in rather than bad news about Beckett..
It's all just awful. It's a different kind of sadness, a different kind of pain, and now a different kind of fear.
We got to meet some neighbors. Should have been a better neighbor before now reaching out to introduce ourselves before all the crazy began. But I do think we will be watching out for each other more now. Community can be built through crisis. I do believe that. I really do.
But perspective, it is just stuff. God protected us. We weren't home, and we are safe. I have to keep clinging to that fact. God kept my sweet family safe. When you have your belongings stolen, you just can't help but realize that you would so much rather it be that...than your family. So thankful God protected us. So thankful God put each of our friends and family in our lives to help support us through this time.
Our sweet NICU nurse who watched Beckett all day yesterday, came to our house (and yes, Karen...I'm crying while writing this) after her shift came to our house and brought us a meal. But more importantly she brought us good news about Beckett.
In the dark, tough times, we HAVE to choose to cling to the good. Hope reminds us of the good.
Makes me think of another Matt (from Sanctus Real) song that is on my Jon Jon Heart CD from Casi.
"The reason for our suffering is to help us realize, that in sickness or in death...we are helpless with out Christ. Bless the Lord, Bless the Lord....this is grace, this is grace...when we walk thru the dark times...this is grace, this is grace, and we wait for the sun rise...how I long for the sun rise."
Nurse Karen told us that our Sweet Beckett had his eye exam by the opthamologist, and is ROP free. Dr.Packwood said his eyes looked awesome, and that we didn't need to be seen for a YEAR! Such good news for such an awful day.
Talked to the DRG today. He clarified some of the heart questions yesterday with me, but obviously I didn't have time to post. He does have a PFO, but the PPS is what is causing us to hear a murmur sometimes. In summary, Beckett has no heart problems. The DRG knows that I love the details, but today knew I needed the summary version. What a good doctor.
Ooh, this will be fun. DRG Fun fact trivia question:
What was Dr.Grubbs profession before becoming a Neonatologist?
A. Car Salesman
B. Chemical Engineer
C. Social Worker
Beckett has been eating better. His weight gain was ok last night, but not steller. He is now 6 lbs. 5.7 oz. He still has a couple more days to prove himself on the 5 day countdown. He will be 37 weeks gestation on Friday.
However...it looks like we might be HO HO HOme soon.
We canNOT wait to bring our 3-month-old newborn home! :)
I am very sorry the break in happened to you. However I am more thankful for God's protection over all of you. Also for the great and gracious friends who have been ministering to your needs and helping restore security and sanity to your lives. Bless Ellie's heart, wiping away momma's tears. huge hugs from KS.
ReplyDeleteI thin Mr. Beckett really looks like a Weber in this picture. Honestly I think he looks like Wyatt when he was a newborn especially in this picture.
ReplyDeletei just can't imagine.....grateful for your perspective- your words- they are truth- that "community can be built thru crisis" and that "in sickness and in death, we are helpless without Christ". inspired by you, friend!
ReplyDelete