I braved the doctor's office this morning by myself with the kids, as Ben's first day back to work was today! I was super nervous, but Ellie was a great helper, and Beckett did great too. Ellie is awesome of giving me a play by play of Beckett in the back seat of the car. She even told me the sun was too bright for Beckett. I think she loves having a buddy back there. Of course, then again I started the go go gaget arm trying to reach back to put the paci back in his mouth.
Weight check after being home 2 weeks from the NICU...7 lbs. 12 oz. I totally had to double take, and asked if that was really correct! Ha! That's almost a pound since he came home! Yay! We are doing something right! Sooooo blessed Beckett actually likes to eat! Makes a huge difference in weight gain, which I know is obvious. :) but oh so exciting for us to see! Again our frame of reference was horrible eater Ellie who had reflux so bad, she would bat the bottle, arch her back, purse those lips so hard...it was like force feeding every feeding. So frustrating. I am so thankful that when I think back about those frustrating times, it is quickly replaced by a toddler who is whining "I'm hungry" and I love it.
Dr.Hanson was very pleased with his gain, and he is trending his growth along the 50th percentile curve! (Against other preemies...we aren't on the normal growth chart yet) AND we don't have to go back for a MONTH! I repeat...A MONTH! Oh, yay, that feels like "normal" newborn checks, right? Ha...actually I don't even know what the regular schedule is, just feels more normal. :) I'll go with it. We are sticking with the same feeding plan, 4 of the feedings I can nurse, (which is going ok...been a hard adjustment getting my supply back down to match his, and well...some times he is great, sometimes not) or give him straight up breastmilk in a bottle. And then the other 4 feedings (still every three hours around the clock) we have to fortify my breastmilk (which is 20 calorie) with neosure formula enough to make it 27 calorie. We are going to continue this for the next month, and then re evaluate. Dr.Hanson said his heart murmur is harder to hear today. He does have some borderline skins issues related maybe to an exema type thing, but not anything to be concerned about yet. He does have some fluid on his boy parts too, but she said that will take a few months to resolve. He hasn't pooped now (today is the fourth), and she wasn't concerned. His belly is still soft, and she said to be concerned if he isn't tolerating feeds, and after 5 days...than call. I can tell he really needs to poop. He is eating...ok, but not great.
Just sooo happy! So happy he gained weight. I just keep kissing his cheeks and his forhead saying "Good job brave boy!" He is totally rocking this being at home thing.
We survived today. Also proud about that. I was nervous about being at home for the first time by myself with the kids (love it. I have two kids, and get to say "kids"). They were both asleep for approximately 15 minutes at the same time, and it was GLORIOUS. I sat in our rocker recliner and took a little power nappy myself. :) AND I did get a shower in today too. I know, but this is huge stuff people! :)
Please pray for Ellie, and for her memory to be healed from the break in. She has had a hard time going to bed, and will randomly ask me if I'm going to scream and cry again. She even asked me "why would they do that?"...wow...such a hard lesson to teach your kids about sin, at age 3. Some people just are not nice, is about the best I could do. She does also follow up with saying the police helped us fix our house. We pray, but I can tell it still bothers her...which then bothers me. Which means we still need to keep praying about it.
Today was such a joy filled day. It didn't feel like a perfect day, but I can definitely cling to the good parts. Like my good friend, Casi, I'm choosing joy today. And maybe it is because I am also thinking about how we are close to his due date. He would have been a good size had he stayed in the hopper! His due date was this Friday, Jan.6, the day after my birthday. So we get to celebrate another special day with our boy!
Speaking of Casi...can you please pray for her and Dave's sweetie, Jonathan, age 2, (Ellie calls him Jon Jon) who just has his fontan heart surgery for HLHS on Dec.27. He is still at Cook's. Pray for him to keep food down, and well, he and Beckett both need to make more poppy diapers! So pray for that too. Also, please pray for Jonathan's cardiologist, Dr.Siu and his family as he had a heart attack a couple days ago while riding bikes with his son. Last I heard, he was on life support. Please pray for Casi and Dave as they entrust another doctor with Jonathan. We with sick kiddos, tend to get really close with our doctors caring for our sweet kiddos. Heart is heavy for them...
***update: I just talked with Casi, and Jon Jon just spiked a high fever tonight. And she also let me know that Dr.Siu passed away this afternoon. Please pray for his wife and kids.***
Ok, better go...time for supper...and expect more blogs...we finally got a replacement computer bought after the break in. Ben has a new dresser too. Christmas decorations are down. Ellie will start back to school (praise that she only has 2 kids in her class...yay less germs) or mom's day out rather), Ben is back to work.
Ok "new normal". Bring it on. RSV Isolation "new normal," but that's ok.
PTL!! Love, love, love the good news!! Way to go Beckett!! Praying for Ellie too...I can't imagine trying to explain that to Liam. So glad to hear, overall, things are going do well!!
ReplyDeleteBrooke
wow it was a red letter day all around. shower, nap, adventure out, and home 'alone'.
ReplyDeletewoo hoo. it's fun watching God take care of your family.
okay kiddo, two kids, piece of cake...you will be surprised all that you can do. So glad the days are going well...looking forward to a trip south sometime soon...hugs to all..
ReplyDelete