Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Part 3: Update with B-man

Did I mention that someone found his thumb? (and yes, he does sometimes sleep with out closing his eyes all the way...that's like his dad and big sister!)

Sleep deprived? Yes. But I WILL get this blog updated. I WILL get this blog updated. Not only do I need to update ya'll, but seriously, this is like Beckett's baby book! I want to get stuff documented for this boy! Plus, Ellie was restless after I tried to go to sleep. Classic croupy cough, gunky eye, and she says her ear hurts. Dr. appointment scheduled for 11:10 am. So thankful my dad is here, he's on Beckett separate from the sister duty now.


Ok, so Wednesday, March 28 was his 6 month appointment with Dr. Hanson. More vaccines, more being brave. Ellie was so cute, she consoled him too saying "Buddy, Good job being brave, Buddy." What a good sister. Beckett tipped the scales at 12 lbs. 8 oz! His length 24 inches and head circumference 42 1/2, which was a bit of a jump from last month. The nurse measured his head a million times, and than Dr. Hanson also measured it a million times just to make sure it was accurate.
1. His height and weight (according to the preemie growth chart) are still steadily growing along the 50 percentile curve. Head circumference = 95th. Not so proportional little buddy. So we get to still keep our appointment with the cranial specialist on May 11. I was kinda bummed about this. Not going to lie. I thought since his cranial X rays came back normal, no sutures closing, that we were done with that concern. But my loving sister reminded me that X rays are only one glance at what is going on, so it's better to have things checked out further. As far as his height and weight on the regular growth chart.... < 5 percentile. Our doctor only charts until 47 weeks gestation with the preemie growth chart "technically," but I still like to use that one!
2. We noticed that Beckett's left pupil is larger than the other one. Dr. Hanson said we were going to watch it for one more month (we go back for another weight check first week in May), and than will probably move up his ophthalmology appointment. We weren't supposed to see Dr. Packwood until next December, but again...better get things checked out. I also have GREAT friends, and my girlfriend from high school's husband is an ophthalmologist, and called me to talk about Beckett's eyes. He actually said the "normal eye" is probably the bigger one, and the abnormal would be the pupil that looks smaller. Interesting because I just guessed it would be the other way around. He said it could be because of the brain bleed, and did say he would see the opthalmologist too...not urgent, but before December. Thanks for the consult Chip!
3. Dr. Hanson was having us try fortifying two bottles to 27 calorie (down from 4) to see how his weight gain would be. He breastfeeds through out the entire day (YAY! And this is seriously something I didn't think would ever work out for us, and it HAS! Ellie had NO interest in bf so I just continued to pump. It's been a doosy to get my over supply, over active let down under control, but I think my body has finally adjusted to what he eats! I tell you...it's SO nice not to have to do as many pumping and bottle dishes! Ha!) However, Dr. H knew we were meeting with the dietician through ECI for his nutrition consult, so she wanted to see what her input would be too. The Neosure has added nutrients specifically made for preemies, so it is important for B to get some of that, plus added calories are always a GOOD thing! I still secretly want to know what my breast milk is calorie wise. I will just tell myself my milk is high in calories too :) We met with the dietician, and she actually suggested we start with 3 bottles fortified, and took his measurements, asked lots of questions to chart him on the growth curve too, and is coming back in two weeks to see how things are going. Still continuing the Poly-Vi-Sol with iron 1 ml a day too (which we mix in the beginning ounce of his bottle)
4. Pooping issue. So she said it's not good when he has to strain and cries when trying to make a dirty diaper. So we are giving a little pear juice (she said start with twice a day), but I'm only doing once a day because he is definitely stepping it up in the pooping department! CELEBRATING! Don't worry, I do still examine every diaper like I am a NICU nurse. I find myself often times saying, well, they would have said that is normal looking. Those NICU nurses are good teachers!

Ok, I think I got everything from his pediatrician appointment, but mom and Wendy...remind me if I missed something.

Too cute...just checked on Ellie who is still sleeping (and I'm LETTING her because if she really is sick, she needs her rest!) and Dad and Beckett were hanging out in the living room. My dad proudly announced that Beckett had already done his exercises! Guess it helped out having him watch Kelli in our PT appointment. Love it. They definitely are bonding. Poor dad is going stir crazy being indoors this much though. Ellie and Grandpa were going to plant some herbs today, but I guess we will see how Ellie feels later on. I've sure enjoyed having dad here to help all during the day. We are going to try out a new salmon recipe soon. Like my daughter is a daddy's girl...I am a bit too. We like to try out new things to cook and bake! I may or may not have introduced him to pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment