Friday, June 8, 2012

Green Beans!

So I just got off the phone with the GI Nutritionist, and caught her up on B man and his last two weeks. We are going to wait it out a little longer to really give the reflux meds time to kick in...apparently most affective after 14 days, which is today! We want him to know that it doesn't have to hurt when he eats.
Still need to feed every two hours, and try to get him to take 20 oz/day just for hydration. Now, we are going to see if maybe trying a solid food helps the motivation. We know he eats the neocate nutra  (which is a "medical food" that thickens kind of like forumla powder/cereal in one, more dense and higher calorie) from the spoon. And it is great news that he will eat orally off the spoon! So she said try green beans, and add the neocate nutra to that, and I added some breastmilk too to make it a little less thick.


And by golly. This little dude gobbled those GREEN BEANS right up! Two and a half tablespoons. So now, I am going to have to plot how I can get him to take a swig of milk inbetween beans. :) I bet I could get another ounce in him!
So, some kiddos get solids because they max out on milk consumption. Apparently not Beckett. Tamara said some kiddos are solid lovers vs liquid lovers.
So still main task is to get him to take 20 oz. milk, and try and figure out how I can get him to sleep inbetween! I feel like I am creating an insomniac waking to feed every 2 hours!
Weight check with doc in 3 weeks (which Dr. Hanson actually called Tamara too! Which I so appreciate), and she said if Beckett doesn't gain weight than we will need to be more agressive with calories, and add fat to his diet.
So hopeful that meds will work and create a more positive eating experience!
As far as PT today, Beckett did great! He actually rolled for the first time from TUMMY TO BACK. Haven't gotten him to do it again, but hey, now we know he CAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment