Saturday, November 8, 2008

Milk. It's What's for Dinner

Well it seems that we haven't updated you on Ellie's feedings today. So ... At 3 o'clock Mandy breastfed her and Ellie "transferred" 26 mL from the breast. (That's the lingo around here: "transferred") Then she took about 10 mL more from the bottle and Audrey slow pushed the remaining 20 mL through her feeding tube. At her 6 pm feeding Ellie got 20 mL from a bottle and gavaged the rest. We weren't there for the 6 pm feeding because we went to get haircuts. While we were there Mandy decided to have her hair styled. Doesn't it look gorgeous? Don't worry, she only got it trimmed. And at 9 pm ... that's right it's Saturday assessment time: Tonight Ellie weighs 6 lbs 5 oz (2860 grams). That's a gain of 40 grams. And she grew 3/4 " to bring her to 19 1/4 inches. Great job growing Ellie Jo! Anytime she has a gain of an ounce or more that's great, but especially when it's paired with 3/4 " growth. And as for the feeding, mom fed her the whole bottle! Great job Ellie Jo. To be fair I should point out that Ellie was pretty sloppy. (but it was also formula this feeding) And she has seemed uncomfortable for a while afterwards. Sometimes we think that ever since they diagnosed the acid reflux her symptoms have gotten worse. Maybe we shouldn't have told her that she has acid reflux. Ellie, if you're reading this I'd like to stress that it's supposed to be a somewhat mild case and now you're on medication for it. Please adjust the severity of your symptoms accordingly. Thanks. Love you.

2 comments:

  1. Your hair looks absolutely beautiful Mandy!!! Always helps to do something for yourself every once in awhile!! :) I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. That is such a tough decision but I hope with prayer it will become a little easier. I have just had to tell myself that I am doing what I can for Liam and if he's meant to nurse he will and if he's not then I will just keep up my pumping. I would be willing to bet that as she gets a little bigger and stronger that she will be able to do it and do it well!! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great Mandy and so does Ellie of course! I see a lot of moms have trouble with breastfeeding, but I'm guessing once you get her home and she gets a little stronger and more used to it, it will go great! Best of luck with everything and I'm hoping I have my baby soon and maybe we'll both go home the same day. YEAH!!!

    ReplyDelete