
Well, it's been a bit of a whirlwind since Ellie's last appointment. Wednesday it seemed like she was eating well, Thursday she ate awesome - about 60 mL consistently, (but the past few days she's been averaging about 45 mL per day (yes, Ben figures daily averages) and then today she's been averaging 30 mL and has really been sluggish. Not sure what she's trying to tell us. But I really thought she would have gained more weight than a little less than an ounce!
Today we went back to see Melanie (Lactation Consultant) at Mercy and the Little Miss hadn't even gained an ounce since Monday when we saw her last. Granted we did give her a suppository on Wednesday, which helped some, but it wasn't a mondo amount...hmm...so Melanie called Dr. Duff and wanted to know if we needed to change anything with her diet. I have been actually separating the fore milk and hind milk when I pump - yeah, I know..didn't know that was even possible. But apparently the first two minutes of milk is more like "skim" watery, appetizer milk and then the creamy stuff follows - which is hind milk - and possibly higher in calories! So we've just been feeding the hind milk in her bottle feedings. On a good note, she did take 38 mL nursing today with Melanie....which is a high! It was actually the most she's taken all day (since the 1 am feeding).
So the verdict is...we're going to start fortifying my breastmilk to 24 calorie with each feeding - and still keeping the 2 Neosure feedings also to 24 calorie.
Oh, I forgot to mention that she did have her first episode that caused the monitor to go off - I think it was Wednesday. She did not have a color change - thank God, but it was a apnea - so she paused her breathing for longer than 20 seconds - but resolved herself.

Mom and Dad are trying to devise some sort of schedule , which is quite the struggle - but we'll get it. Grandma Weber is here helping and being a drill sargent about us getting homework done (drill sargent in a good way though). She's staying with us while Grandpa Weber is at Wade's taking care of those grandkids (Wade and Caryn are in Hawaii, I'm so jealous!) I'm sure Grandma doesn't mind at all spending time with Ellie. It's also been nice to have her here (of course good bonding time with my mom!) to tell me things like, stop freaking out Mandy, all babies make "this noise, that noise, do that, etc." Oh, and I was also really excited because my mom (who works at the a hospital) got us a supply of hand sanitizer in foam form - JUST like at the NICU! :) Grandma also brought pictures of Aunt Wendy Jo when she was little and boy, Ellie looks a lot like her! Too funny! Grandma is super lucky she got to be the first one to hold Ellie besides Mom and Dad. Don't worry, I made her wash hands and sanitize like 500 times. Pays to be family.
I have quite a bit of homework to catch up on which seems overwhelming, but in due time, it will all get done! Praise Jesus that my professor allowed to complete my current practicum hours over Christmas Break. I'm also technically on my maternity leave at Jardine for 6 weeks now. So now it will be homework catch up and mommy time.
We go to Dr.Duff's office on Monday for another weight check. Hopefully she'll start progressing with the increased calories!
Team Gramkow "3" plus 1
ReplyDeleteThe "1" stands for Gramma Weber and she looks alittle nervous in the picture holding Ellie. haha!! Tell Bea she is on national internet and she needs a big "SMILE" for the camera!! Enjoy your time together and We will take care of the home front!! Ellie is doing awesome ~ she's in mighty good hands! Hugs from Iowa!
surprise, surprise...but our Ellie has that same "Grandma loves me and spoils me" onesie! These girls are destined to be friends! :)
ReplyDelete