Beckett not only weighed 4 lbs. 10.1 oz. to start off the day, but he got an increase in feeds to 30 mls. Remember this is one full ounce every 3 hours for this 32 weeker! Wahoo! And he DID finally have a BIG poopy diaper on his own at 4 pm (no glycerin suppository!) So Uncle David and Aunt Audrie were still here to watch Ellie tonight, so Ben and I headed to the NICU together. I planned on holding Beckett skin to skin, but then the nurse asked if I wanted to try "non-nutrative breastfeeding." Basically the idea is let's associate the gavage feeding of my tummy getting full with exposure to the breast to root around if he wants to. Beckett totally rocked it! He actually latched on! We tried the football hold for about 10 minutes, and he tolerated it very well, and didn't have any episodes. This was very exciting for us. I didn't think we would get to try this so soon. And apparently he was quite impressive for a first timer at this! I can't really remember when we got to try this with Ellie, but I know evidence based research has changed a bit from when Ellie was in thr NICU. And well, we all know Beckett wants to have his own story different from his sister. So we are praying that he actually does well with the nursing.
We still have a LONG way to go, but as with each day....we will celebrate today. And tonight my friends, earned a Best Night Ever status. Another day where my Beckett is showing just how amazing he is. Wahoo!
Praising Jesus for the good days!!!
ReplyDelete