Friday, November 4, 2011

Still NPO...another day

We are going to hold feeds today, and Dr.Grubbs will re-evaluate tomorrow morning the plan. He consulted with some of the other neonatologists, and they reviewed the x rays, and they don't think it is pnematosis indicating the NEC. But Dr.Grubbs feels more comfortable holding his feeds a little longer, and we are trying to get his tummy back down, air out thru the replogle. He also ordered a suppository. He will get an X ray at 5 pm today, and then again and 4 am.

The bloody stools could be from other things too: fissure (he didn't see one, but it could be internal) or maybe a cow's milk protein intolerance. Which means the only cow's milk he is getting is what I am eating that goes to him thru breastmilk. So Dr.Grubbs asked me to eliminate dairy (although I need to still have calcium somehow) and we are just going to feed him fresh milk from now on. (Well, when he starts eating again). Super sad about no more fruit and yogurt parfaits! But as any mama can relate to...we mamas gotta do what we gotta do! Now, if you remember from before, its just with the early gestation babies that they use the prolacta fortifier which is human milk protein. At some point they would introduce the cow's milk protein fortifier...between maybe 32 and 34 weeks gestation. However, with Beckett it might be closer to the 34 week mark because he is kind of telling us he might have a sensitive tummy.

He has some big bowel loops still :( but his tummy is going down with the replogle.

Dr.Packwood, the opthamologist came today for Beckett's first eye exam. He declared his eyes "immature" which is likely and what we obviously expect because he is only 31 weeks. It is still too early to rule out ROP (retinopathy of prematurity). But it is a good sign that Dr.Packwood didn't indicate abnormal growth pattern of those blood vessels I think its behind the retina.

He is still on high flow nasal cannula, but has had episodes, so not sure if he will get to keep it. I hope he gets to keep it atleast until Ben gets here after work so daddy can see his hair and more of his handsome face! I did think it was a big jump going from 8 liters on the cpap to 2 liters nasal cannula, but Dr.Grubbs explained that it isn't 8 liters that actually goes directly into Beckett's lungs. He did have to explain it twice because I didn't get it the first time. Guess I need to reread Ben's Tech spotlight even though I got lost half way thru that too!

I try so hard to learn and understand everything! :)

Forgot to mention his weight! He still gained! So close, but not quite 4 lbs! 3 lbs 15.9 oz!



No comments:

Post a Comment