Thursday, November 17, 2011

Two Bottles!!!

Dr. Grubbs called me this morning with Beckett's update. I hadn't called into the NICU to check on Beckett since 3:30 am, when I was up to pump. Ben was pretty much amazing and took the first shift of the night holding our Ellie who came down with a stomach bug around 10 pm last night. Poor thing. I took the second shift of the night holding our sweet princess, so daddy could actually get some sleep before heading to work. (So far today, she has been good. And that goes for mom and dad too. Phew? I'm not yet convinced)

Beckett is having another ROCK STAR day!
1. Increased his feeds to 45 mls (which will be considered full feeds, and then will increase periodically based on his weight); still adding prolacta to make it 26 calorie. AND he gets his vitamins 2x's a day, iron and caffiene (which hopefully he'll outgrow soon).
2. At 8 am, he was wide, eyed and alert, so he took a bottle! Drum roll please....20 mls over 20 minutes. And then he was spent. Nice work son. I think I'd be tired too if I was eating non stop for 20 minutes. Maybe your dad would have a different opinion. I may or may not have timed myself eating one time in college, and I could eat a whole meal in just 6 minutes. Yes, I know, I know. I'm letting ya'll in on more ways on how cool I am. Anyone else ever done that?
3. He has continued to follow the poopy diaper preference by all medical staff and his parents. He has already had a couple more poopy diapers today. Wahoo!
4. He did have a huge nasty dirty diaper last night which could be the cause of why he did NOT yet tip the 5 pound scale. Yes, that's right. Ben called it. Beckett weighed 4 lbs. 15.7 oz. last night. I tell ya, this kid just keeps his mom in suspense every day with his weight.
5. BREATHING SUPPORT! This is exciting. Dr.Grubbs is trying his nasal cannula down at 1 liter! Can I get a whoop? whoop? So we shall see how he does. So far today he has done well, no episodes. The nurse today did tell me that she actually wasn't going to tell Beckett that he got his oxygen flow turned down. :) He is hanging out around 23-25 percent.
6. He has been maintaining his temp pretty well the past few shifts, so maybe we are getting close to open crib status??? The top has still been popped!
7. AND THEN, they told me that at 2 pm (just a short 6 hours later!), he was awake and alert looking ready to eat and took a SECOND bottle! Yes, that's right...20 more mls by the B-O-T-T-L-E (and just for those who are curious, that was to the tune of "the B-I-B-L-E," but sing it like the BOT-TLE :)

One happy mama. And yes, I do realize that I am extra excited because I have not been hit with the nasty stomach bug that Ellie had last night. Please pray for mommy and daddy immunity on this one!

4 comments:

  1. whoop! whoop! will keep praying the stomach bug doesn't spread around. just WOOHOO! good job God, good job beckett!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoop whoop beckett! Praying you all stay healthy! We wish there weren't so many miles between us! Missing you guys.Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that picture of your handsome boy!! Rejoicing with you at his amazing progress! :)
    Jodi G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for Beckett doing so well today! Boo you had to miss the action, but you'll be in on it all before too long! I think you have to wait at least 24 hours though to make sure you don't have the bug, is that right?

    ReplyDelete