
Here is our little cowgirl after her 3 o'clock bottle feeding. She only took 13 mL but she was probably just tired from breastfeeding and bottle feeding and gavage feeding (nice combo package there) at noon.
What a small world...the breastfeeding clinic has been a great resource for me. I hit it off really well with one of them (breastfeeding educators) who also happens to be a NICU nurse as well, Audrey. She helped me get started right away with pumping (others did too of course) and since then she's come in time after time to talk with us and to see Ellie. I don't think she ever got lucky enough to actually be Ellie's NICU nurse, but we would see her from time to time and get to chat. So today she had her "breastfeeding educator" hat on so she got to help me get ready to nurse Ellie for the first time. I started talking to her about how my dad was coming to visit today (on his way to babysit Wade's kids in Manhattan) and she asked where we were from. All this time, and we never talked about Iowa! She said she was from Clarion and then I mentioned my mom was from Belmond. Then I called my mom to see if she maybe knew Audrey, but she didn't recognize her last name. She asked if I knew her maiden name and I said I would find out. Too funny because it turns out that Audrey is actually my mom's second cousin! Grandpa Whipple...did you hear that??? Isn't is such a small world! It was so cute, Audrey about started crying and then had to go tell everyone in the unit that she was related to Ellie Jo! How neat and what a comfort to know that we have even family helping us get through our NICU stay here at Stormont-Vail!
Precious little cowgirl! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a precious little "cow girl" I'm sure she will be part of that FFA someday!!! I always remember you talking about FFA with the Greene girls. Do you remember that? Those were the good old days Mandy. How fun they were. Its been so fun to watch the progress of Ellie. She's doing great and will be home soon. We are anxiously waiting for our new little one to arrive this month. Can't wait to be a grandma... We continue to keep you in our prayers. Hugs from Greene, Iowa
ReplyDeleteMandy/Ben,
ReplyDeleteI just left the hospital and can't get our fun day out of my head! I don't know when in 36 years of being a nurse that I have had such a fun/surprising day! I get to know young families, and have a special bond, that only families and NICU nurses can have, and hold that very special to me, but when I found out that we were related, that put it on a whole different plane! God works in mysterious ways, and He led us to your conversation about your Dad traveling from Iowa!!! Had I been able to care for Ellie Jo over all these weeks, we may have gotten around to where we grew up, etc, but with all the babies in the unit, I haven't had the opportunity to care for Ellie. But, being a Breast Feeding Educator, and one of the charge nurses, I get to know families(moms) in a special way (with breast feeding) and meet so many more than just caring for the babies.
I am not sure how long it has been since I saw your Mom (Bonita, if you are reading this, do you remember? Did you come to my Dad's funeral? I know I saw your Dad (whimp) and Fred.. How fun to have your Mandy, here - given the circumstances..)
I must go for now, but wanted to let you know what a pleasure it has been to realize that we have more of a special bond than what we thought before today! And you 3 did So good today!!! Really! i am glad I could be a part of this special milestone for Ellie! I see you two and Ellie is a lucky little girl to have 2 such devoted parents!... See you Saturday! Love, Audrey
That is too crazy!! Audrey was a great resource for us as well and she actually helped discharge Liam as well!! I absolutely love the cowgirl boots!! Where did you get those? Too cute!!!
ReplyDeleteit is such a small world!! Audrey I don't remember the last time we saw each other...had to be a reunion maybe when aunt ruthann was home? I didn't make it to your dad's birthday party or funeral. I called dad as soon as mandy told me about an audrey from clarion...living between belmond and clarion...had to be lake cornelia and it had to be you...too funny!! so happy another family member can help "my baby" with "her baby". hugs to you all...
ReplyDeleteHey Mandy. I've been following your blogs for time to time and it looks like little Ellie is doing great. Daniel and I are also expecting a girl in December. When i say when you were initially due and how early she came, i just kept thinking about our own little baby inside me. I hope Ellie continues to do great and we'll keep you all in our prayers. You've come so far. Take care!
ReplyDelete