Tonight I missed my Little B a little extra, so mama came back for a late night date. Daddy and Ellie were going to watch the Rangers Baseball game that Daddy recorded. I got here a little earlier than when the unit reopened, so stopped in at the March of Dimes NICU Family Support Scrapbook night. Auntie Leesha would be proud of me...I did one page. :) They actually provided me with a whole book and kit, which I thought was really neat. On Tuesday's meeting, guest speakers talked about Kangaroo Care and Baby Wearing, and then we made moby wraps that we got to take home. I did make a blue one for Baby Beckett even though I already have a fashinonable mandimoo designs wrap that I got with Ellie. Still been a little hard meeting other parents, but that will come. I'm now noticing the frequent flyers...which are probably the ones with little babies like our Beckett.
Last night Ben and I got to come to the NICU together, which was such a sweet time. This NICU journey has been very different in that regard because we have Ellie to care for at home. It was fun news to hear that he gained weight! Beckett weighs more than his big sister did when she was born! Ellie was born at 27 weeks and 6 days weighing 2 lbs 7.5 oz. And yesterday, Beckett was 27 weeks and 5 days gestation and weighs 2 lbs 8.4 oz. Great growing Beckett! So he officially weighs more than a 2 1/2 pound weight. So TODAY, Ellie's gestation at birth, Beckett weighed 2 lbs. 8.4. Big boy!
Last night, I tried to read him the Night, Night book that we read to Ellie. We only got through one page before Beckett gave me the "I'm over stimulated, Mom" talk to the hand signal. Maybe another day, we'll get through another page. We'll be here for a while. We have time.
His Oxygen has been up and down. Last night he started being naughty, and his episodes have really increased. Like I said earlier, they ordered a Chest X Ray, and that came back clear. Which is good news in one regard. However, now we don't know what's causing the increase in As and Bs. Maybe he has outgrown his caffiene dose? Although he has the sensitivity that we found out caused the high heart rate before. Hmmm. The mystery continues. I feel like he's trying to tell us something, but well, we just don't know yet. His tummy did show some loops tonight (and you're wondering what this is...bowel loops, that the nurses can physically see through the skin on his belly because it's so thin and he doesn't have any fat). But he's still pooping and tolerating his feedings, tummy is still soft, even though it's distended. He's been having troubles with his bubble CPAP. He did get the next size of prongs put in his nose (size 5) which are as big as they go for preemies. Yesterday his nose was bleeding because the size 4 prongs weren't sealing his nose, so the air pressure was drying his poor nose out. :( He's also had a bunch of episodes today, and has had to have his oxygen bumped up. So far today, he has had 7 As and Bs, and 4 required stimulation. One required moderate stimulation where she had to tap his feet repeatedly to try and get him to "remember to breathe." HATE this. I just feel so helpless, and I just have to wait and see when he's going to respond and remember. I know this is all part of growing up as a preemie. Still HATE it.
This morning I tried to hold him skin to skin, and he had a couple bradys where he wasn't recovering well enough, so we had to put him back to bed. Let's just say he's been keeping the day shift nurse, and now the night shift nurse on their toes. I wonder if they will order more tests tonight, maybe bloodwork? Or I'll be interested to see what the doctor says about his increase in episodes tomorrow morning for rounds.
Since I'm here so late, the nurse did already weigh him, so now he's up to 2 lbs. 11.3 oz. This makes mama very happy!!
Please pray for Beckett's lungs and heart, and for his episodes to decrease.
No comments:
Post a Comment