Friday, October 14, 2011

Every Breath

Beckett's blood work came back more elevated than what I was hoping. His CBC indicated his white blood cell count was elevated, his hematocrit dropped, and his CRP to detect inflammatory response or infection also came back elevated. The NP and doc ordered a 7 mg dose of caffeine to be given now, and decided to give an additional bolus of 10 mg of caffeine to see if that will help his apneas and bradys. Poor guy has been messed with all day, and is probably so stressed from having to get through all these episodes. If he doesn't settle down within the next hour with his breathing then they will move him to a CPAP with a rate. The rate would force him to have a minimum number of breaths per minute. It would help him rest so he doesn't have to work so hard. It is not a vent, so that's good. They will also run another blood gas.

But we aren't there yet. So more waiting. They said it would take about an hour to see if the caffeine kicks in.

Waiting and praying. Come on little Beckett. Still here with you my little buddy. Mama's here. So hard when you hear the nurses say "He's just not breathing." Come on Beckett. You are mama's little fighter, remember?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy,
    I have been following Beckett's story and thinking and praying for your family often.
    Hugs to you,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hang in there, Beckett Thomas. I'm about to be really busy at work so the next time I check in I am looking forward to hearing good news. Hang in there momma, just keep praying, God give him one more breath, one more breath, one more breath.....
    Peace and prayers

    ReplyDelete