Friday, October 21, 2011

CPAP Mask

Well, apparently Beckett hasn't had enough head accessories, so he decided to try out the CPAP mask. Last night they noticed sores in his poor tiny nose, and so they put a smaller prong size in. However, now its not sealing the greatest, and he isn't bubbling as well as he should be. (Bubbling is part of the functionality of the CPAP set up) So, an hour ago, the Respiratory Therapist, Fisher Paykel Rep for this new CPAP system, and doctor decided to put the mask on Beckett to give his poor nose a break. They put that on around 1 pm, and the nurse said he is already desatting less. So hopefully it will be the break that he needs. Now, I'm sure he looks liike he has a gas mask on now, instead of a scuba diving look. I haven't seen it yet. This morning was Mommy and Ellie time!

He is tolerating the 28 mls great, with only 2 mls of residual, and has had a small and big poopy diaper, so all is working well there! Last night he had a fairly low key night, aside from the CPAP drama. He did have 1 brady episode at 5 am, and then the day nurse said he has had a couple today, but then again, everyone is still messing with him a lot!! I'm ready for the CPAP drama to stop, but I do understand, it takes time for everyone to learn the new set up...just hate hearing him cry everytime, and I think this also might be why he isn't tolerating much stimulation.

He was SO close to hitting 3 pounds, but not yet. Hopefully tomorrow! He is 2 lbs. 15.8 oz. today, and still growing! Wahoo! Great job B man!

Thanks for all your prayers. I think now we are in "just grow" stage, and I pray it stays low key!

Happy 4 week birthday to my Sweet Boy! Happy 29 weeks gestation too!

3 comments:

  1. I don't care what it looks like just so it works...then maybe he won't be so adventuresome when he gets older cause he's tried them all...the space man, scuba diver and respirator mask of a fireman and all...but then maybe cause he's tried it once, he'll want to try the actual thing again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grow, little man, Grow! He's doing an amazing job, Mandy, and so are you and Ben. Oh, the stories you'll get to tell him on his 8th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the mask does the trick! Bill likes his CPAP mask, after all. :-)

    ReplyDelete