Monday, October 3, 2011

I've got the joy!

Joy! Yes, that's right...last night Mr.Beckett had a huge poopy diaper on his own! And the nurse I just talked to at 5 am said he had a couple more poops on his own, with out a suppository! Yay for Beckett's plumbing! Hopefully we can move past this dismotility issue. Last night his heart rate was still hangin out around 181 to 188, but just now when I called it was 170s to low 180s...so I'm praying that its dropped back down to stay. Yesterday they gave him two bolus of saline to add to his fluid volume, to see if that might be the issue. It didn't help however. He had his CPAP hat and prongs changed, per routine,, they like to keep that hat nice and tight. He has been tolerating his 8 ml feeds too! Wahoo Big Boy! And he gained a little bit of weight, even with those poops! He now weighs 2 lbs 0.8 oz, and is 14 and 1/8 inches long.

He has had increased apneas and bradicardias a total around 6, with 2 of them needing stimulation, now when I say he needs stimulation, that means the nurse has to touch him, and that helps remind him to breathe, I hate watching these spells, you just watch him resting so peacefully, and then the monitor starts alarming, and those few seconds feel like an eternity..you can tell he is just forgetting to breathe....meanwhile mama prays that he would just remember already! Unfortunately, this is par the course growing up as a preemie. The brain is underdeveloped and his "forgetting to breathe" episodes are unfortunately normal. Remember he actually gets caffiene, yes, caffine to help decrease the amount of episodes. Crazy that straight up caffiene helps with this, but super thankful to whoever came up with this discovery. We joke that both he and Ellie must be following in the footsteps of the Gramkow side, as there are many coffee lovers! 

Beckett's oxygen just lately was bumped up to 35 percent which is the highest I believe its ever been. But the nurse also told me that it probably was because he had an episode that needed stimulation, and he hasn't fully recovered from that yet. His labs all came back fine, as far as electrolytes for his TPN. Tonight they will test his hematocrit, to see what his red blood cell count is indicating.

I got to hold him during his 2 pm feeding yesterday, and plan to again hold today...unless daddy fights me for another turn ;)

Please pray today for safe travel as Grandma Gramkow returns to Meade; Ellie as she is starting to get a runny nose...I'm not sure though it could be allergies...however, its really important that we all stay healthy since Beckett is severely autoimmune deficient; Beckett's heart rate to continue to go back down.

Ellie has been doing so well since Beckett has been born. She still occsionally asks if Baby Brother is still in mommy's tummy, but we have to keep reminding her that he is in the hospital, and gets to stay over night with his doctors. She asks to see him, and hold him, but we have to say, not until Christmas time when he comes home. She is going to be such a good helper. She loves playing with her dolls and feeding them! This is definitely harder this time around with Ellie at home. She needs her time too. And she is a good reminder of God's provision in our family. Sometimes she says just the right things. She has intuition even at age 3. She notices when mama is sad, and then proceeds to make mama happy again. She is such a joy to me. Both her and Beckett are such a joy to me. My husband also is such a joy to me.

Tonight Ellie and I made a few crafts for Beckett's room. She loves to do crafts! She also loves to sing. So tonight we sang the song (well, Ellie sang and did an interpretive dance with it...Aunt Wendy, you know what I'm talking about) "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart. Where? Down in my heart, Where? Down in my heart...and I'm to happy so very happy, I've got the love of Jesus in my heart...over and over again.

Down in my heart to stay. What a refreshing reminder. Amidst all this crazy, I'm so thankful I can still experience joy.



5 comments:

  1. Team Gramkow... I am in awe of your strength and I keep your entire family in my thoughts/prayers. God only gives us what we can handle, so he knew he picked the perfect parents to love and care for Beckett. I love your crafts! Ellie is quite the artist. :-) Here's an idea to involve Ellie more (since she can't go to the NICU). Get a digital recorder and recorder her singing songs and then you can play them for Baby Beckett. Digital recorders are incredibly cheap ($30-40), and techy Ben would probably enjoy the activity too! Love you all, Michelle Weber

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it...so good to hear. good idea Michelle...I'm so techy all I could think of was one of those singing birthday cards where you record whatever but someone would have to flip it open and shut..so miss being there for the hour by hour low down...hugs to you all and have a super wonderful day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 cheers for poop!

    great idea re: Ellie and recording her songs. Plus a small video of where Beckett is, might even help her to see/remember. But bet you're already on top of that.

    You're doing a great job little momma, and so is strong daddy.
    hugs from Plains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Beckett! We are praying for you guys. I hope this blog is therapy for you too mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Team Gramkow.................
    You guys never cease to amaze me with you strength, faith , but most of your love for each other. God never shuts a door that he doesn't open a window.....the memories you share now will be a good testamony down the road. It won't be long till Beckett and Ellie will be singing I've got the Joy, joy , joy together with their microphone! Take care....prayers coming from Iowa daily. BECKETT CAN DO IT.........YES HE CAN!!!!

    The Beckers

    ReplyDelete