Friday, October 31, 2008
That's what they needed...
Today has been a rough day emotionally. I have been reminded numerous times of the amazing work Ellie has done thus far...she's almost two months old...and still not "due" yet. We're asking her to do a lot. However, it's just so hard when Ellie has progressed so well in other ways near the beginning (which we Praise Jesus for)- off the ventilator after a couple days, in a crib and not yet back to the isolette, gaining weight and NOW...it just seems like the feedings are taking forever for her to catch on. Oh, how I've tried to be so supportive when I hear from the other NICU mom's how their babies are doing, but it's just hard. I'm trying so hard not be be jealous of their progress. My good friend Alisha reminded me when she was with us at Ronnie's oh, about a month ago, after one of the mom's was super excited and telling us about her daughter taking a bottle...I felt sad for Ellie - that she wasn't at that place yet. :( Alisha told me, "that's what she needed today." I guess I've had a bunch of "that's what I needed" moments today...
just to name a few:
1. Ellen and Dr.Navarro putting Ellie back on caffeine today and Ellen spending about an hour with us explaining how Ellie's progressing and listening to our frustrations with the test getting pushed back.
2. then our new nurse Mary Jo (after the morning assignment got a little too overloaded) came in and sat down with us talking about the morning and our emotions and our assigned nurse not getting into see us until later this morning (because other baby on assignment isn't doing so well, and she needed to be with that baby - prayers for that baby today).
3. Our faithful nurses Lisa, Kent and Randi coming to see us in our new room and getting treats for Halloween from our bucket of goodies.
4. Going down to the cafeteria and not having enough money with us to purchase our meal - and when I went to put something back - the cafeteria cashier pulled out his own wallet and gave us a dollar. We tried to refuse, but he insisted. Yep, started crying right after that one!
5. Getting to hold Ellie at her 9 a.m. gavage feeding (what she didn't eat for the speech therapist)
Wow...God sure does take care of us, that's for sure. I am also reminded of a special session that I had with my fellow Jardine Staff this past training talking about servant leadership and what that means. I remember being asked about the times when I felt like I was being served and being moved to tears just thinking about how generous people have been to us in the past. With this experience, I can say that I have truly felt the comfort of so many of you who have served us - whether with prayers, reading the blog, monetary gifts, e-mails, commenting on this blog, preparing a meal, sending Ellie gifts, and I know...I'm forgetting more. But thank you for your kindness to us. Thank you for having such a servant heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hang in there. There will be better days ahead. Remember God has a reason for all to happen. He is with you all the way and we all are with you all the way that are checking your blog daily... We continue to keep you all in our prayers..... What a cute little "pumpkin" you have there :):) Hugs from the Brinkmans in Iowa
ReplyDelete