Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Fatherhood
This morning's early report indicated that it was a quiet night, and our little Ellie wasn't too fussy. She didn't like being on her back last night. And she's become quite accustomed to her pacifier. Ellie had one major episode, but the nurse said that she was laying on her pacifier and it had pushed her cannula out, so he wasn't sure if that would count against her. She had a total of about 10 desats which was better than the 30 she had during the day. We're not sure if Ellen will end up removing her nasal cannula today or not.
Ben gave me the gift of getting away for a couple hours last night. My good friend Dana called me at the last minute to got to the Carrie Underwood/Little Big Town concert last night here in Topeka. Thanks so much Dana and Rob! Little Big Town is awesome - four part harmony - oh, so good! Boy it's sure hard to leave Ellie, but it was just what I needed. Plus, I knew Daddy would take great care of her! When I got back it was so fun to hear her report from Ben. He's so wonderful at this father thing. I asked if she was really fussy (since she of course is still realizing that she cannot eat until 3 p.m. today) and he said yes, but she was consolable. Lots of talking, singing (she seems to like this especially) and Ben said they started reading from the Gospel of Mark last night - it was time to talk a bit about Jesus. :) He held her kangaroo style and she liked that. She slept through the entire hour...oh, how neat that we can have these moments of really feeling like we can console our little girl. Daddy was also great at reporting to Mommy's million questions. Ben also told me that he decided he was going to fast today with Ellie. Of course that brought tears to my eyes. He sure loves that girl. What a great father and husband I have ... Thank you Lord for Ben.
Prayers for Ellie's little tummy today as we're all looking forward to when she can get replenished with food! Prayers also for Mommy and Daddy to do homework. It turns out that's not going so well. Thanks for praying for Ellie yesterday, she definitely got a princess sticker for making it through what hopefully will be her one and only blood transfusion.
Much love,
Team Gramkow
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow---you two are amazing!! Mandy and Ben, you have jumped into this parenthood role so beautifully--I admire you both for that. I will pray that today Ellie will peacefully sleep and not be bothered by an empty belly and that her Mommy and Daddy can maybe get some schoolwork done or at least started. I love you and will call later. :)
ReplyDeleteDaddies! Aren't they just great. I knew you guys would be great parents! I am glad you got away for a bit Mandy! It is very hard but those Daddies are pretty good at their job:) The Lord is with Ellie! May you rest with that and be able to get a little work done.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everyone and I just met you but you both seem like the most wonderful parents! You are so attentive and have learned about everything so that you understand what is going on with your daughter (you seriously put me to shame)! Mandy, I am so glad that you went to that concert...I'm sure it was hard to go but it's good to do something for yourself too! I'm thankful that Ellie is consolable b/c I could tell from previous blogs that it breaks your heart when she's not--and remember I told you that was the worst part for me when Liam got a little bigger and would cry and you just want to take them out of that isolette and hold them b/c that's a parents instinct! I'll be anxious to hear if you get rid of the O2 today! I will be jealous...that is the biggest pain dragging that tank around our house! Keep up the good work Ellie and I pray that you both will be able to get a little work done!! Hope I get to see you Fri.!
ReplyDeleteBen is soooooooooo dreamy...
ReplyDelete=)