Saturday, October 11, 2008
It Just Didn't Register
So we went to register last night. We were going to go right after dinner. Well we didn't end up eating dinner until 7 pm when they kick us out of the NICU for half and hour. We of course got talking to another NICU mom at dinner (i.e. 7 p.m. when all of us NICU parents get booted for a half hour). She was having a frustrating day. Her little guy, Nathaniel is 35 weeks gestation and took a bunch of steps backwards during his feedings (having bradies/apnea/choking/turning blue/needing stimulation)...so we invited her to eat with us. Please pray for little Nathaniel and his eating! *good note though: today, I saw Amy and she said they changed the nipple on his bottle and it's making a great difference. YAY!
Anyways...then it was 8 p.m. so we stayed for her assessment. And then we got to talking to our nurse, and before we knew it it was 9:30 p.m. We thought Target was open until 11 p.m., but to our surprise, it was only open until 10 p.m. :( So this afternoon we actually went and started our registry at Target and Babies R Us. It was pretty fun, but kind of overwhelming at the same time. Ok..all you moms out there - what is the one thing that is a "must have" for the baby/baby's care, etc???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A boppy pillow is a must (at least in my opinion). Also couldn't live without my baby monitor. Ellie has gotten so big. Keep up the great work guys!
ReplyDeleteLove Sherri
I love my Baby Bjorn and a Moby Wrap if they have those, for carrying and nursing in. Don't mess with cheap carriers. I second the Boppy, those are nice.
ReplyDeleteI know this is later in life but we can't live with out our booster chair. We take it everywhere. We got the fisherprice one. For little babies i would say her play gym, (floor mat with dangly toys) I didn't think she would use it until she was 3-4 months but we were using it at two weeks old. She loved having down time not being held and looking at all the toy hanging down. I know it is overwhelming all the gadgetts out there. Hope this helps.
ReplyDeleteGrace
I loved the boppy for the first three. . . it was one of the first things that sold at the garage sale. This time around i am really missing a swing, although space in the loft is limited and it might end up at Wade and Caryn's until after graduation. if you don't already have one I would really suggest registering for a pack & play . We got ours at garage sales, but with the need to be careful about germs it would add to peace of mind to know that yours hasn't been used before. they are sooo nice to have for traveling (we even used ours for picnics, and one year for the fireworks for the 4th of July).
ReplyDeleteMiss Ellie-just-Ellie looks so grown up in he crib! Hope to see you the 17th.
DK
There are so many musts but I agree with what everyone else has said...boppy pillow (not only good for nursing but we use it to prop Liam up due to his reflux), pack and play, swing, play mat for the floor. I love my diaper champ (so much better than diaper genie) and an exersauser for when she gets bigger. Registering is so much fun but it is a little stressful with everything thats out there. So excited to see Ellie is out in a crib!! Getting closer everyday!!!
ReplyDeleteMake sure and register for those little odds and ends - like a thermometer and nail clippers and stuff. I also loved our Moby Wrap (which you can borrow to see if you like it, too). Register for a diaper bag that you love - even if you pick out a back pack or something. Considering your apartment, register for a baby gate for your stairs. We also used a bouncy seat a LOT. YAY for registering! Baby stuff is so cute.
ReplyDeleteYou will want some type of bouncy seat/vibrating seat. We use ours a lot and the one we have travels easily so we can use it when we visit friends. Our pack and play is fabulous...vibration and music do make a difference. I second the Diaper Champ. It is great. If you will be using bottles we have the First Years Night and Day Bottle Warmer system. It is great to heat up bottles and when traveling to keep them cold.
ReplyDeleteHope that helps a little.
Tracie, Bill, & Stella
Hi,
ReplyDeleteLesley G had told my husband and I about your blog. Our son Alexander (now almost 18 months) was a 30 weeker. One thing I would recommend for registering is talking to a nurse that you like. There were things that people would normally get that we were told were taboo for us. Such as bumper pads and bouncy/vibrating chairs. The nurse recommended that we use "sleep sacks" instead of blankets and you can get those that swaddle as well. The boppy is good. I don't know if you have a Babies R Us in your area, but instore (not online) I found "onesies extenders" which which had snaps at both ends to make the onesie longer. This was useful as Alexander is longer in body, but is still pretty skinny. As for toys, I have been following for his chronological age, but realizing that he may need help or show him how to do it as his corrected age is below that "recommended age". It is interesting trying to balance stimulating him to help him advance while remembering that he may not yet be there developmentally. It is even harder to remember not to compare him to his same age peers.
Good luck and have fun.
Adrienne
Mandy and Ben--
ReplyDeleteI agree...the Moby wrap and the boppy were both great for us! Also a yoga ball, but I understand that rocking/bouncing isn't a good idea for Ellie, so nix that idea.
Another thing that brought HUGE peace of mind for me was the Angel Care baby monitor. It has a little sensor pad (looks like a mouse pad!) that goes under the mattress of a crib (if you will be sleeping her in her own bed) and it detects movement...if no movement (i.e. breathing) is sensed for 15 seconds, an alarm goes off. My little guy would NOT sleep on his back, and I knew all the warnings about tummy sleeping, so this way I felt a lot better about letting him sleep on his tummy when he was in his crib.
Thanks for keeping up the blog. I enjoy checking in on you every day!
Mandi McKinley
Hmmm...if you want a boppy- I have one you can have- I even have a pink cover for it or you could buy a new cover- think about it, b/c seriously- if you want it- I'll get it to Wendy. Didn't hardly use it with my kids other than for a little pillow for them while they were laying on the floor as they got bigger.
ReplyDeleteMust haves for my kids- a swing! More later on but exersaucer, bouncy/vibrating seat, sleep sacks worked good for my girls as infants. My monitor lights up with noise so now I can have it turned down but amazingly- I do wake up to the flashing light when Hayden crys.
Oh and make sure you register for things that are bigger than newborn sizes. I know Ellie is still tiny but you won't want to have to buy everything once she outgrows that size (onesies, sleepers, etc.).
Have fun! So glad to hear she is doing well! Take care of yourselves, as well!
Sarah
I loved my Podee travel bottle. It is a must if you will be doing any bottle feeding at all. Dia refused to hold a bottle and it was a lifesaver on long trips. I'll also echo what everyone else has said about the Boppy's...they are amazing. They have Baby Boppy's that may be just right for your little angel. They come attached to a play mat.
ReplyDeleteHope that helps.
Stephanie (From Ronnie's :))
Make sure you register for things that she will use as she gets older and not just things for right away. We have gotten a lot of use out of our Bumbo and Haddy loves her jumper. If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have gotten the baby bjorn carrier, but the Ergo brand. They say it is much better for you and the baby and can be used much longer. Also, only get sleepers that button down both sides of the legs...trying to stuff their legs into one sided zip sleepers gets harder and harder as they get older!
ReplyDelete