Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mom's First "Blue" Moment

Or should I say, Ellie's first blue moment while Mom was feeding her. Yes, that's right. We were getting near finishing feeding Ellie her bottle. She took 15 mL and was kind of telling us that maybe she wanted to be done eating (i.e. I'm tired Mom). I was quite proud that I got three good burps out during those 15 mL. We (the nurse and I...Ben is back at Ronnie's doing homework) decided one last try. I finally got the bottle in her mouth after fighting with her curled tongue and thought we were sucking and doing well. Whereupon, I notice her turning blue. I asked the nurse...ummm...do you think she's turning blue...the nurse says yes, and helps me lean Ellie forward (second later, the monitor starts going off). The nurse taught me what to do when that happens - basically needing to pull the bottle out and open her airway as quick as possible. Then rub her back and the nurse rubbed her head. She started breathing again fairly soon, but boy, did it FEEL like forever! The nurse commented that I did a very good job and that I didn't do anything wrong. :) I actually remained amazingly calm. THANK YOU JESUS! So, now I'm looking at my little princess through her crib and it's 4:40 p.m. We started the feeding at 3 p.m. - that took about a half hour - then right when I put her back, wide-eyed awake! AND STILL awake. That is a long time for her to be awake. I think she's working on a bowel movement...let's hope I'm right.

2 comments:

  1. Great Mom and Ellie. She is growing so fast and well! Babies are stronger than we thought. Once I left Julianne sleeping in a cold night with a thin blanket, and her dad caught a cold. Although her hands are freezing cold, she didn't catch cold at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy,Ben and your little princess!

    Man.....I am pooped just reading the blog today. You guys are amazing how your handling the emotions that you're going through. There's a new surprise to every day! Ellie is doing so well and learning so many new things. My take on the homework ~ don't worry, be happy. Enjoy God's greatest gift ~ Ellie~ together! God got you to this point in your life and he will help you through it. You've got your whole life to work. What's another semester, right? Easy for me to say! LOL!
    I just LOVE all the little outfits Ellie is in ..... pink is definitely her color! Thanks for sharing the fashion review! :-)
    Take care.....cuddle up......its a chilly, windy, just simply "yucky" day. Give your little princess a big hug!
    Hugs from Iowa..............

    ReplyDelete