Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Tuesday Morning Update
Ellie had a good night last night - only 6 desats and all self-resolving. We didn't get a chance to hold her yesterday though...her bath wore her out. And apparently she's still tired from that today. She's been a bit lathargic - which of course had me concerned that she wasn't feeling well. However, Ellen said that she isn't showing any other symptoms that would lead us to believe she's gettting sick. Today, Ellen said she started asking the nurses to track and see if Ellie's ready for nipple feedings. She has met a few criteria, but not all yet. They start evaluating at 32 weeks usually, but they really aren't ready until 34 weeks. The criteria she has done well are: sucking on her pacifier - she's got a pretty strong suck. Ben said that yesterday she did suck during the entire 35 minute feeding; 33 weeks (I think...gosh, I'm losing track..I need to look at her princess calendar! I have it written there). But she's still not awake and alert enough anticipating feeding time. She's also not rooting a whole lot. So...we'll keep waiting to see. I'm of course a bit nervous. Please start praying for the time that she transitions into nipple feeding (through a bottle). I know these are going to include some rough days where she's eating, getting tired, losing weight...all typical and normal...but yeah, just pray for our emotions too as we face this next step. Please pray for Ellie's development to suck, swallow and breathe so she can get the nourishment she needs. Update on me: Well, I'm still not feeling the greatest - uncomfortable. I have my follow up appt at the Breastfeeding Clinic in an hour and then possibly a visit to the doctor hopefully this afternoon - but maybe tomorrow. Please pray for my skin to heal and for the doctors/clinicians to have the wisdom to diagnose the right treatment for me. Well, that's all for now. We're doing our best to keep you posted...came to the computer on 4th floor this time, so hopefully we'll be able to use this one while we're at the hospital during the day. Continued prayer for our efficiency with our school work now as Ellie is still eating via the feeding tube. Our time availability will change when we introduce the bottle! Thanks for all your prayers! Would of course love to hear how everyone's doing! Keep the comments and e-mails coming!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You guys are so great to keep us all informed so well. I just looked at the pics and videos and she is so tiny and so precious! I am so blessed to hear all that's going on and pray for her. I pray she'll be bottle feeding soon! You guys will enjoy the busy-ness of feeding your little one I'm sure.
ReplyDeleteOkay I had to add another comment. The bath ones crack me up... we sure didn't get a nurse's help and everything all set up for us with our babies' first baths!
ReplyDeleteYeah Ellie--what a good girl you have been---before no time you'll be sucking on the bottle for some of your feedings at least! Mandy, I hope you got things figured out with your skin---let me know how things pan out. I've been thinking about you three---Team Gramkow and can't wait to see you all in a week and a half. Love ya. I'm off tomorrow Mandy if you want to give me a call when it works out for you. :):)
ReplyDelete