Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Whose Dress?

My parents came to visit today. Like the wonderful grandparents they are, they came bearing gifts. All of the gifts they brought today had a family significance. One blanket was my baby blanket when I was a young lad. Don't worry, it's yellow. It's one of the first things she has that's gender neutral. They brought an afghan I used as a child and an afghan that Grandma Gramkow crocheted just for Ellie. They brought a couple blankets that Anna used as a baby. One of them was made by my great aunt Pennette shortly after World War II. Materials were a little scarce back then, but there was plenty of leftover parachute nylon. So the blanket is made of nylon stuffed with cotton and hand painted with oil paints. I don't think they sell those at Wal Mart. They brought another gift that Wal Mart doesn't sell.It is a baby dress about 6 months size. It was lying on top of the blankets so I picked it up first and mom said they brought my dress. "You mean Ellie's dress." I corrected her. "No" she told me, "before you were born there was a lady at my baby shower that was so convinced you would be a girl that she made you a dress." Too funny, I never knew I had a dress! Mom assured me that no one has ever worn it. Not me and not even Anna's dolls.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps I had mentioned to the woman who gave you a dress how much I wanted a sister. :)

    Thank Heavens now I have lots of sisters (in-law) and a niece.

    Love You Much,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete