Sunday, September 28, 2008
Bending News
Okay, this is not exactly breaking news because it happened yesterday. As someone pointed out you can see in the most recent pictures that Ellie no longer has a feeding tube in her mouth. The feeding tubes get changed every week to lower the risk of infection. Ellie's O.G. tube was due to be changed and the only reason it was in her mouth is because of the trouble they had been having keeping her nasal cannula prongs in her nose. Well lately she hasn't had many problems keeping the prongs in her nose so when they changed out her feeding tube they put the new one in her nose. The hospital staff prefers them to run through the nose instead of the mouth. Apparently it's less bothersome for the baby. Personally I don't like the idea of a tube entering any orifice so it's hard for me to decide which of the two I would prefer. So if you click on the thumb sucking pic you'll see the full-sized picture. In the full-sized picture Ellie is larger than life (literally) and you can see the feeding tube running right by the breathing tube. The feeding tube has numbers so they can measure ... something.
This next bit actually is breaking news.
Meanwhile Ellie dropped 10 grams today, putting her at 3 lbs 7 oz and 1550 g. Sad but not tragic. It seems that every day I try to get her to really suck on her pacifier she ends up dropping some weight. But she did just have a big gain and maybe she'll gain it back tomorrow. I guess she figured a two ounce gain was good enough for two days. I'm sure with the 31 mL fortified feedings she'll be packing on the grams again in no time.
Please pray for mom and dad as we try to establish more of a routine and balance school and family ... and sleep. It is difficult to tear ourselves away from our little girl, but if we don't then we end up shorting ourselves on sleep. Of course it helps that I have the good fortune of hanging out with two lovely Gramkow girls but it is no substitute for rest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It really sounds like Ellie is doing great. It sounds like you two are as well! The number on the side of the feeding tube are used to make sure the tube is in her stomach. First they measure (with the feeding tube) stomach to ear to nose and mark the number. Then they know where to stop when they are placing the feeding tube. They then xray to determine it is in the right place. Just an FYI. You seem to be interested in all this health care stuff (and have been catching on incredibly quickly). Hope this made sense. Take care guys!
ReplyDeleteMegan Watt
I'll leave whether it helps keep you awake with children to those that have them, but for those of us who don't get enough sleep and don't have kids, coffee seems to be one of the best additions. :) And I think I picked that up from our father.
ReplyDeleteLove ya,
Anna (Gramkow) Jester
Haha, yes mom and I had a good laugh when we found out that Ellie was getting caffeine (for her breathing). She wouldn't be a true Gramkow without it.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, thanks for the info Megan.