Monday, September 22, 2008

Better Day

Well, Miss Ellie is doing better and it's 3:15 p.m. Ellen (her nurse practitioner) came in and saw Ellie today and said she's doing great for her age...again for her age. She reminded me that this is how it's going to be and you'll have ups and downs...and that might be one of the hardest things we'll have to encounter...it'll be real slow...and hard...she told Ellie that she needed to be good today so Mom can stop tearing. Ellen moved her feedings up to 17 mLs every three hours. She's tolerated them so far and she said she wasn't concerned about the NG tube length because she's done so well with her feedings. They are also discontinuing her lipids today. They did take off the velcro cpap looking thing and went back to old fashioned taping the nasal cannula - but now it's real close to her eyes..her cheeks are all red, Ellen said it'll go away. I think that was the hardest thing for me - seeing her get the tape pulled off multiple times, and her cry is stronger. She's had more desats rather than bradies lately, and this is better than both - so at least her heartrate is keeping constant even when she's having breathing spells. She just made the sweetest baby noise and both mom and dad jumped to her side. She stretched and smiled...I think she wanted to see if we were still there. :) Continued prayers for mommy and daddy - we were planning on getting homework done, today started out rough, so we're trying to play catch up on both emotional and physical rest.

4 comments:

  1. We're still praying, Gramkows! We were gone all weekend, and as soon as we got home, we quickly turned on the computer to see all of the updates. We will talk to you soon!
    Love, Bill, Lori, and Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Ellie had a better day. Once thing our nurse practictioner told us to rememember is all they should be doing right now is sucking a little bit of amniotic fluid and we are expecting them to eat, breath, and regulate body temp. Puts things into perspective I think! I also meant to tell you that if you ever have nurse Nan that she told me her husband preaches at the Topeka Bible Church (where I see you've been going). Just thought you might be interested in knowing that...plus she's a super nice nurse!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Team Gramkow ~

    I went to Osage's Fall Autumn Fest and thought of you guys. I bought a neat picture that said:

    "when the night is the darkest, the stars shine the brightest"

    Mandy and Ben ~
    When things seem a little rough just remember your "little star" is shining admist it all. She's a fighter ~ God is in control ~ enjoy her smile and her new "baby sounds!" We're enjoying your blogs and pictures!

    Hugs and prayers from Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for that note lynda - we actually looked up what her name means and it means "shining light" too cool :)

    ReplyDelete