Monday, September 15, 2008

Excellent Rate of Gain but bradies are getting too numerous for Mommy!

Ok, so I grew up on a farm...where us Webers always entered our pigs into the derby contest where they determine their rate of gain and are rewarded for that. Well...Ellie has followed the trend and had an excellent gain today. Obviously, I'm not going to figure out her average rate of gain over her 12 days of life. SO...today she slept most of the day and didn't burn many calories to get her to a whopping 1205 grams (translation she gained 2 oz.) so, she's up to 2 lbs. 11 oz. Yippee! So all day she had 2 a/b's - both self-resolving and Nurse Kent was so proud and said she's been an angel all day. However, right after he said that, she had a brady that needed oxygen since she wasn't coming back fast enough. Since shift change at 7 pm she's had 8 bradies - one of those also needed a puff of air. Nurse Robin said that it might be since she got dropped to 1.5 liters by Nasal Cannula. They can go through a transition time where they need to get used to that different amount of air. ***Ok, I just want you all to know that I've had to change the amount of bradies three times since posting this. ***Please pray for tonight...mommy's a little nervous especially at this rate. Grandma is right at her isolette side watching her every move...I think she's a bit nervous too. Looks like I'm not going to get to hold her tonight, due to too many bradies. The nurse is calling the doctor to see if she might get moved back up to 2 L of room air through her nasal cannula. Grandma Weber and I cooked Lasagna (that Grandpa) sent down with her for all the residents at Ronnies. I was pretty excited actually - kinda made me feel like I was still at work at Jardine! :) So of course, I applied everything I've learned at Jardine (oh, Jardine is an apartment complex affiliated with K-State housing and dining, for those who don't know) which means that personal invitation gets the most people at your events! So I did borderline stalk, I mean invite the other families to come join us for some lasagna and peach and cherry pie. Only one lady showed up, but I assured the other families that it was totally reheatable - and they could eat it whenever they got back to Ronnies. Just cause I'm curious, I'll probably check the fridge when I get home to see how much is gone. I hope there isn't anything left...now that would make my heart happy! Oh, met a Ronnie resident who is actually an AG teacher! Grandpa and Uncle Micah would be proud! He graduated from K-State in Ag Ed a year before I graduated Ag Comm...who knew. They are parents of a preemie in the NICU as well. Well, it's 9 pm and Grandma got kicked out because only parents are allowed after 9...so I guess since I can't hold my little ellie tonight I'll be subject to Grandma's orders for more rest. Please pray for Ellie tonight as she sleeps..her night seem to be worse than her days. The nurse keeps reassuring me that she's just acting her age, but it's not an easy note to leave on after having so many bradies in a row... :( I have a feeling I'll be calling frequently tonight. Goodnight all. Daddy...this is how I've been sleeping all day...added a picture just for you! Miss you love. Love, your girls

6 comments:

  1. You are on such an amazing medical ride! God sure knew what he was doing by placing you so close to Topeka. It sounds as tho' you and Ellie Jo are getting excellent care. Praise God for all the premees who paved the way for all this valuable knowledge! Blessings to all 3--and may your dreams be of Jesus.
    Dick and Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, Lord, help sweet Ellie have a good night of rest so that her Mommy and Daddy can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Man...thanks for the update and will send up a prayer that beautiful baby Ellie has a restful night without many brady episodes...and that you rest as well. I don't work till 11am tomorrow so I'll try to catch you in the morning. If not, no biggie--will catch you sometime. :) Love ya. Hope you get the pics from Garett and Wyatt soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy,
    I talked to your sister tonight and she gave me some updates on you and your sweet baby. Know that we're thinking of you- as Wendy and I talked about, baby girls are strong. May you get some rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful little girl ... all tucked in and cozy. I miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Programming outside of the "office" - I'm impressed! You're such a hard worker Mandy!

    It was good to hear from you and I'm really enjoying the window into your life that the blog creates. I can't wait to see how Ellie grows and changes! You're in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete