Thursday, September 11, 2008

Guess How Much I Love You

Mommy actually already started reading to Baby Ellie. Our friends brought us some books at the hospital and so it's been fun to already start promoting her education! Plus her mom doesn't have the most extensive vocabulary, so we're already working on that too. :) Her daddy started reading the Bible to her, but informed me that it was something that only he and Ellie do together. I did ask where he read from, and he said, Genesis - might as well get that whole creation, foundation thing laid! :) He's a good daddy. Today's update: Well, she's had 7 bradys (which if your confused, see older posts when my wonderful husband describes A and Bs - basically she forgets to breathe and then her heart rate drops really fast) today with her nasal cannula on. :( Up to this point, she's had 4 of those tactile (which means Ellie doesn't remember to self-resolve, so the nurse comes in and touches her back, rubs her trying to get her to breathe); We did get to hold Ellie today, however, two of those tactile bradys were when Ben and I were holding her. Now that was a little scary, I just had to lay still until the nurse came in to tap on her back. She's been doing the bradys all day, so the nurses said that holding her wouldn't affect whether we got to hold her or not. Unless she gets too overstimulated. However, her temps remained stable today - that's why we got to hold her. The other 4 were self-resolving. She just ate her 5 pm feeding - still at 2.5 mL of mommy's breast milk. Today she's been tolerating her feedings well. As for Ben and I - we've been sleeping a lot today! It's obviously starting to catch up to us. Please pray for rest for us tonight - again, it is SO hard to pull ourselves away at night. Oh, and we also went down to the gift shop tonight and bought a t-shirt that says "I was born at Stormont Vail Hospital" Turns out she won't be able to wear it for a long time, but oh well, it's pink and cute. I pretty much decided I love all the pink stuff out there! We also bought a k-state powercat (sticker like thing) to put on her Isolette. We wanted to make the KU nurses mad :) So yeah, Ellie's definitely a little wildcat! Good thing purple goes well with pink! Well, we're off to supper. Please let us know how we can be praying for all of you..turns out we talk to God a lot!

6 comments:

  1. I pray your family is well and trust she will be safe and home with you soon.
    Love, your nurse Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy & Ben, One week closer to coming home! I am praying Ellie gets to come home for Thanksgiving, what a day that will be!! So much to be thankful for. Sending you hugs and prayers, LISA GARDEN

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gerth's would like to send a shout out to little Ellie..."Ellie, you have such wonderful parents. I hope you see that little girl! Ellie, don't make us come up there to remind you to start breathing again. Because dear Ellie, WE WILL." Okay, enough of the silliness, we love you Gramkows and we continue to pray and support your family.

    Love, Alison and Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben and Mandy,
    Know that we are reading your blogs daily. Mandy...knowing you are such a planner and now that is out the window, just enjoy and have fun with your new family.
    Grandpa and Grandma gushes all the time! God Bless,
    The Jurgemeyers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was waiting for that powercat to adorn her isolette! My plan was to find something this weekend like that, but I'm thankful she now has that. GO K-STATE! :)
    Hugs, Robin Millington

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, there are too many KU nurses around. We just couldn't wait any longer.

    ReplyDelete