Tuesday, September 23, 2008

No Turning Back

Today is one of my proudest moments as a father. Ellie has made a huge step forward from which I hope she will never return. Today Ellie is wearing clothes! Since her gestational age is 30 weeks now she is now more capable of regulating her own body temperature. So the bed is no longer responding to her changes in body temperature. They put clothes on her last night and kept the temperature probe on her to see how she did. As I write this nurse Kent is taking off her temp probe. One less cord to drag around! Oh sad, now she's crying. Hang in there Ellie! He only plans to take it off once. Now that I think about it the old temp probe was coming off and they just put a new one on her a day or two ago. So this one's stuck on pretty well. Don't worry, mommy is comforting her and she's better now. AND now Kent is saying her diapers are too small so she's graduating from the extra small preemie (P-XS) diapers to the small preemie (P-S) diapers. Although to my untrained eye the P-S diaper looks the same size as the newborn diapers. There's a huge size difference between the two. Kent is also a big fan of pushing the pacifier during her feedings. (She just started her 11:00 feeding.) And he says she has a good strong suck. Good work girl, you'll be breastfeeding in no time!

4 comments:

  1. Ben and Mandy- I have told my mother in law about you guys (she lives in Topeka they also attend TBC) She's going to try to get into contact with you and see if you guys need her to bring you anything, Just thought you might like to know if some stranger shows up at RMH today she may be stoping by her name is Barby Nordren. I'm glad Ellie is having a good day today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I bet you have already picked out a bunch of super-duper cute clothes for her!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! Yay for clothes!

    I need to come see you so I can give you the outfits my mom bought for Ellie. They are preemie sized and SO ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clothes are such an exciting step as is getting rid of the iv's and picc line! Liam had 2 picc's but we will pray this will be the 1 and only for Ellie! I'm telling you, Kent is awesome-he really works with these babies. Tell him hello from us if you think about it! I also must say (as I've read the newest blogs that were written after this) that you guys are learning far more than we ever did about all of the equipment-I'm actually quite jealous that you know all of this stuff (makes me look kinda dumb);)!!

    ReplyDelete